Impulse. Change in Momentum vs Ft

In summary, impulse is the change in momentum of an object and can be calculated using the formula Ft = mv_f - mv_i. However, if there are multiple forces acting on the object, the total impulse will be equal to zero.
Ocata
My book states that impulse = Ft = mv_f - mv_i

But it doesn't make sense to me because what if a Force of 5N is applied to an object for 10 seconds? Then I = Ft = 5N(10s) = 50 Ns.

So if I apply 5N to an object with a friction force of 5N for 10s so that the object is traveling at a constant velocity, say 3m/s, for the period of time, then nothing has changed in the calculation because Ft = 5N(10s).

However, if I make the same calculation using change of momentum, I get
Impulse = mvf - mvi = m(3m/s) - m(3m/s) = 0.

So why the different results if Ft = mv_f - mv_i ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The impulse formula using the initial and final velocities are for the total impulse. If you have a friction force and travel at constant velocity, then it is not the only force acting on the object. The impulse from friction is Ft but there will be an equal but opposite impulse from the other force, making the total impulse zero. If you only have the friction force, you will not travel at constant velocity.

Likes Ocata
If understand correctly, when the physics book (non calculus, applied physics) that I'm currently reading says Ft = mv_f - mv_i, what they specifically mean is F_net(Δt) = m(Δ v)?

So that when Force applied = Force of friction, Fnet = 0, so

F(t) = [(F_a - F_f) Δt = m(v_f - v_i)] = [(5N - 5N)10s = m(3m/s - 3m/s)] = [0 = 0]

That is, Ft = mvf - mvi = 0 when velocity remains constant due to Fnet = 0.

Ocata said:
If understand correctly, when the physics book (non calculus, applied physics) that I'm currently reading says Ft = mv_f - mv_i, what they specifically mean is F_net(Δt) = m(Δ v)?
Correct.

Thank you Orodruin

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is defined as the change in momentum of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force acting on an object.

2. How is impulse related to change in momentum?

The impulse-momentum theorem states that the impulse acting on an object is equal to the change in momentum of that object. This means that an object's momentum will change when a force is applied to it over a certain period of time.

3. What is the difference between impulse and force?

Force is a vector quantity that describes the amount of push or pull on an object. Impulse, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the change in an object's momentum due to a force acting on it. In other words, impulse is the result of a force acting on an object over a period of time.

4. How is change in momentum calculated?

Change in momentum is calculated by subtracting the initial momentum of an object from its final momentum. This can be represented mathematically as Δp = pf - pi, where Δp is the change in momentum, pf is the final momentum, and pi is the initial momentum.

5. What is the relationship between force, time, and impulse?

The relationship between force, time, and impulse is described by the formula FΔt = Δp, where F is the average force acting on an object, Δt is the time interval over which the force is applied, and Δp is the change in momentum of the object. This shows that the greater the force or the longer the time interval, the greater the impulse and change in momentum will be.