Solving Impulse Function Homework: [1 2 3 4] for n= -4 to 0

In summary, an impulse function, also known as a Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that represents sudden, short-lived events and has a value of zero everywhere except at one particular point where it has a value of infinity. It is typically denoted by the symbol δ and has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. When solving an impulse function homework, one must find the value of the function at a given point or range of points, which can be done using the properties of the impulse function and integration techniques.
killerfish

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I tried google for it but no avail so i seek for your help. I have a impulse function x[n] = [1 2 3 4] for n= -4 to 0

The Attempt at a Solution

what does the 1 2 3 4 inside the bracket mean? at n = -3, there is a amplitude of 2?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's what I would interpret it as.

schlunk said:
Yes, that's what I would interpret it as.

Thanks...

Although on second thought... -4 to 0 is a total of 5 indices. But you have only 4 elements in your brackets.

I would first clarify that the impulse function x[n] refers to a discrete signal where the value is 1 at n=0 and 0 at all other values of n. The notation [1 2 3 4] indicates that the signal has a value of 1 at n=0, a value of 2 at n=-1, a value of 3 at n=-2, and a value of 4 at n=-3. This means that at n=-3, the amplitude of the impulse function is 4, not 2. The values at n=-4 and n=-5 are not specified, so it is assumed that they are 0. I would also clarify the range of n given in the homework statement, as it is not clear if it includes n=-4 and n=0 or not. From there, I would suggest using the definition of the impulse function to solve the homework problem and provide any additional assistance as needed.

1. What is an impulse function?

An impulse function, also known as a Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that has a value of zero everywhere except at one particular point, where it has a value of infinity. It is often used in physics and engineering to model sudden, short-lived events such as impacts or impulses.

2. How is an impulse function represented in mathematical notation?

An impulse function is typically denoted by the symbol δ. It can also be represented using the Kronecker delta symbol, δij, in higher dimensions.

3. What does it mean to solve an impulse function homework?

Solving an impulse function homework means finding the value of the function at a given point or range of points. In the case of the question "Solving Impulse Function Homework: [1 2 3 4] for n= -4 to 0", the task is to find the value of the impulse function for the values of n ranging from -4 to 0.

4. How can I solve an impulse function homework?

To solve an impulse function homework, you can use the properties of the impulse function, such as its area under the curve being equal to 1, and its value being zero everywhere except at the specified point. You can also use integration techniques to find the value of the impulse function at a given point.

5. What are the applications of impulse functions?

Impulse functions have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model electrical circuits, signal processing, and control systems. In physics, they are used to model collisions and other sudden events. In mathematics, they are used to define distributions and to solve differential equations.