1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse vs Fnet relation to damage?

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    what does more damage an object w/ a high acceleration or a greater momentum

i was watching one of my favorite tv shows "Justified" and i started to wonder would a bullet moving at a greater acceleration hence greater force (F=ma) inflict more damage or would a bullet w/ a greater velocity, hence momentum (p) and impulse (Δp=Favgt)

im pretty sure the bullet will have the greatest acceleration as it leaves a gun
    what about Δp?

and so i guess my question is does impulse generate more damage or is it more newtonian in that a greater acceleration impacts more damage

obviously m of bullet is same

So i guess my question is F=ma vs Δp (Favgt) which does more damage in terms of a bullet

this has been bothering me for about a week now and i can't seem to convince myself one or the other because im pretty sure Fnet has an impact on Favg but then i tell myself the max acceleration leads max velocity

HELP

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi mrneuro! welcome to pf! :smile:

a bullet stops accelerating as soon as it leaves the gun …

from then on, it's slowing down …

the damage is caused by the momentum, and by the way the bullet deforms

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    thanks!

sorry but one more question would a bullet at maximal velocity say 30 m from the bullet tip cause more damage

or a bullet just exiting the gun?

i guess im asking what is the reference for p initial for the Δp calculation?

5. Mar 30, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

p initial is the momentum immediately before it hits the target (and p final is 0) :smile:

6. Mar 30, 2012 #5
    Sweet thanks!

so greatest impulse wil be found at max velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook