In a mass spectrometer what mediates the acceleration?

In summary: For example, in one Universe there could be a Maths theorem that states that the magnitude and direction of a magnetic field are related, while in another Universe the same theorem might state that the strength of a magnetic field is related to the distance from a magnet.
mesa
Gold Member
R=mv/qB describes the radius of a charged particle moving through a static Bf with the acceleration directed radially inward. The cross product is used to calculate the Force that results in this acceleration. Why does the cross product work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics cannot answer "why" the laws of physics are like that. We can just observe them, and describe them. The cross product for the magnetic force is one of those descriptions.

mfb said:
Physics cannot answer "why" the laws of physics are like that. We can just observe them, and describe them. The cross product for the magnetic force is one of those descriptions.

That was the answer I was expecting. At least it works although it is unfortunate these interactions have not been figured out yet.

mesa said:
That was the answer I was expecting. At least it works although it is unfortunate these interactions have not been figured out yet.

It's nothing to lose any sleep over, afaiac. There will always be 'something more' that we haven't sorted out yet. It just happens that the "cross product" works for describing and predicting a lot of physical processes. You could, perhaps, say that in itself is a bit 'magical' - but the same can be said about the way a lot of Maths applies across the whole of Science.
In any case. What IS Maths??

sophiecentaur said:
There will always be 'something more' that we haven't sorted out yet. It just happens that the "cross product" works for describing and predicting a lot of physical processes.

We know so much today and it seems there is still much left to discover, how exciting! I should have started Physics when I was younger... lol

sophiecentaur said:
It just happens that the "cross product" works for describing and predicting a lot of physical processes.

I wouldn't say it just happened, I would say that it was specifically designed for that purpose.

There is a paragraph about it in wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product#History

ModusPwnd said:
I wouldn't say it just happened, I would say that it was specifically designed for that purpose.

There is a paragraph about it in wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product#History

The cross product is just a part of the whole field of vector manipulations and I would say that it just happens (not "just happened") to be a subset of Maths that describes many Scientific relationships. Not surprisingly, in that Wiki article, the Cross Product appears as a paragraph within a much larger body of information about vectors in general.
Maths is (I'd contend) a bigger set than Science because not all of Maths relates to Science. In a separate Universe, somewhere, with an entirely different Physics, there could be Mathematicians who could be coming up with the same Maths theorems as they do here - but a different set might apply the their 'reality'.

What is a mass spectrometer?

A mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the mass and relative abundance of particles in a sample. It works by ionizing the sample, separating the particles according to their mass-to-charge ratio, and then detecting and measuring the particles.

What is the purpose of acceleration in a mass spectrometer?

The purpose of acceleration in a mass spectrometer is to increase the kinetic energy of the ionized particles, allowing them to travel at a constant velocity through a magnetic field or electric field. This separation of particles based on their mass-to-charge ratio is known as mass analysis.

What mediates the acceleration in a mass spectrometer?

The acceleration in a mass spectrometer is mediated by an electric field. The electric field is created by applying a high voltage between two plates, causing the positively charged particles to accelerate towards the negatively charged plate.

How does the strength of the acceleration affect the analysis in a mass spectrometer?

The strength of the acceleration affects the analysis in a mass spectrometer by determining the resolution of the instrument. A higher acceleration can provide better resolution and distinguish between particles with similar masses, but it can also cause particle fragmentation and distortion of the mass spectrum.

Can the acceleration be adjusted in a mass spectrometer?

Yes, the acceleration can be adjusted in a mass spectrometer by changing the voltage between the plates or by adjusting the magnetic field strength. This allows for optimization of the instrument for different types of samples and analysis techniques.