In acoustics is there something analogous to skin depth in EM?

In summary, the reflection and transmission of pressure waves at a boundary is affected by the relative impedance of the two media. This calculation is valid when the medium is at least a few wavelengths thick, as the reflection at a boundary with a material less than a wavelength thick may differ greatly. In acoustics, this concept is referred to as the acoustic viscosity boundary layer or the viscous skin depth, and has been studied in depth in various papers such as “The acoustic boundary layers: a detailed analysis” and “A thorough analysis of the response of a thin parallel boundary layer over a non-rigid boundary to small perturbations.” While not a trivial matter, further research and understanding of this concept can greatly impact the study and application of acoust
H_man
Hi all

The reflection and transmission of a pressure wave at a boundary depends on the relative impedance of the two media.

I'm pretty new to acoustics but the textbook I've been looking at doesn't seem to specify that the such calculations are only valid when the medium is at least a few wavelengths thick.

Surely the reflection at a boundary with a material less than a wavelength thick will be very different from that of a material many wavelengths thick? Is there a specific technical term for such things in acoustics? Is there an analogous concept to skin depth in acoustics?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question! When I worked in infrasound we used a lot of optical concepts like "aperture" and did ray-tracing of acoustical waves (temperature profiles act as lenses). It looks like the acoustic viscocity boundary layer is analogous:

asadl.org/jasa/resource/1/jasman/v33/i2/p127_s1?isAuthorized=no

I've seen it else where called the viscous skin depth.

Here are two papers that may have answers for you:

Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics
Volume 51, Issue 1, 30 May 1994, Pages 15–36
“The acoustic boundary layers: a detailed analysis”

Abstract:
The viscosity of the medium plays an important role in defining the characteristics of sound wave propagation in ducts. This effect, due to the difficulty of analysis, has been either completely neglected in the literature or considered only approximately.

Keywords:
Acoustics boundary layers; Duct acoustics; Viscosity effect; Propagation and attenuation of sound waves
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0377042794900914

Here is a thorough analysis of the response of a thin parallel boundary layer over a non-rigid boundary to small perturbations. The small perturbations may be acoustic, but may also be small perturbations to an incompressible fluid:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/ejb48/files/brambley-2011-jfm.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bobbywhy and Pythagorean.. I am still digesting those papers. I see the matter is not trivial

for any help!Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, there is indeed an analogous concept to skin depth in acoustics, known as the "acoustic depth." Similar to skin depth in electromagnetics, acoustic depth refers to the depth at which sound waves are attenuated to a certain percentage of their original amplitude. This depth is dependent on the frequency of the sound wave and the properties of the medium through which it is traveling. Just like skin depth, acoustic depth is used to determine the behavior of sound waves at boundaries and interfaces between different media. However, it should be noted that the concept of acoustic depth is not limited to just thin materials, but can also be applied to thicker materials and structures. I hope this helps clarify your question.

1. What is skin depth and how does it relate to acoustics?

Skin depth is a term used in electromagnetics to describe the distance that an electromagnetic wave can penetrate into a conductive material before its amplitude is significantly reduced. In acoustics, there is a similar concept known as acoustic skin depth, which describes the distance that a sound wave can travel before its amplitude is significantly reduced.

2. How is acoustic skin depth determined?

Acoustic skin depth is determined by the frequency of the sound wave and the properties of the material it is traveling through, such as density and viscosity. Higher frequencies and denser, more viscous materials will have a smaller acoustic skin depth, meaning the sound wave will attenuate more quickly.

3. Is acoustic skin depth the same for all materials?

No, acoustic skin depth varies depending on the properties of the material. For example, a sound wave will have a different skin depth in water compared to air, even at the same frequency.

4. How does acoustic skin depth affect sound propagation?

Acoustic skin depth plays a significant role in sound propagation, as it determines how far a sound wave can travel before losing its energy. This is particularly important in applications such as underwater acoustics or noise control, where understanding the skin depth of different materials can help optimize sound transmission or attenuation.

5. Can acoustic skin depth be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, acoustic skin depth can be manipulated by altering the properties of the material or by using techniques such as acoustic impedance matching. This can be useful in applications where controlling sound propagation is desired, such as in acoustic lenses or soundproofing materials.