In Calculas I've learned that 'F means the integral of a function.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Line
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
In Calculas I've learned that 'F means the integral of a function. SO what does ''F mean, th integral or an integral of a function?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I hadn't seen that notation before. I suppose it could be the analog of the shorthand notation for derivative?

f = function
f' = derivative of f
f'' = 2nd derivative of f
'f = integral of f
''f = double integral of f
 
Line said:
What's a 2nd derivative and double integral?

You didn't learn much in calculus did you? A 2nd derivative is pretty much what it sounds like the derivative of a derivative, and sort of similar for a double integral.
 
f = x³
f' = 3x²
f'' = 6x

f'' is just the derivative of f'.

Also, f, is the ''f (double intergral) of f'' so if f = 6x then ''f = x³. I hope that wasn't confusing.
 
Gelsamel Epsilon said:
Also, f, is the ''f (double intergral) of f'' so if f = 6x then ''f = x³. I hope that wasn't confusing.

''f = x3 +C :wink:
 
If you're asked for the general solution x³ is sufficient. :-p
 
Hootenanny said:
''f = x3 +C :wink:
Actually, if f= 6x, then 'f= 3x2+ C so "f= x3+ Cx+ D.
I'm very puzzled by
Gelsamel Epsilon said:
If you're asked for the general solution x³ is sufficient.
It is precisely when you are asked for the "general solution" that you must have the entire form! x3 does satisfy the conditions but is not the "general solution". Neither is x3+ C. The general function "f such that f= 6x is "f(x)= x3+ Cx+ D.
 
When I was in calc and I took test the first thing I always did was write +C down the most the right side of the page.
 
Ha, sorry HallsofIvy I confused myself, I meant if you're asked for "an" (rather then "the") antiderivative then that satisfies.
 
It is not uncommon to use the notation f(n) to mean the nth (notice the parentheses) rather than f', f", since it is clearer if n is large. Similarly, a common notation for "nth anti-derivative" is f(-n). I had never seen 'f, "f before.