In expressing Internal Energy, how do I get to the next step

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 3K views
Chestermiller said:
For an ideal gas, U is a function only of T. But, for a real gas (i.e., at pressures higher than in the ideal gas region), the internal energy U becomes a function of volume also.
My professor was of no help. He essentially said, it is not his problem if I don't understand something. :(

I want to drop the class but id get an F at this point. looks like I'll be teaching myself Thermodynamics with your help and the rest of the people here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
grandpa2390 said:
My professor was of no help. He essentially said, it is not his problem if I don't understand something. :(

I want to drop the class but id get an F at this point. looks like I'll be teaching myself Thermodynamics with your help and the rest of the people here.
OK. I'll be glad to help. My first recommendation is to stop trying to assign physical significance to this parameter that you dreamed up. Your time is too valuable to waste obsessing over something like this. You should be focusing on solving lots of actual problems to solidify your understanding and your prowess.
 
Chestermiller said:
OK. I'll be glad to help. My first recommendation is to stop trying to assign physical significance to this parameter that you dreamed up. Your time is too valuable to waste obsessing over something like this. You should be focusing on solving lots of actual problems to solidify your understanding and your prowess.
thanks for your advice. I will focus on solving the homework problems. I just have this need to understand what can be understood. I guess I can just memorize formulas and methods to pass the tests, but I won't gain anything. but i guess that is my only option at this point. I am going to finish reading the chapter about this specific material and come back when (and it will be soon) i need help.

thankyou so much for being helpful rather than calling me an idiot and brushing me off like my professor.
 
he basically said. as to whether the tutor has heard of the term has nothing to do with anything and is not my fault. perhaps he should google it.
did not answer my question.

but google did.
Internal pressure is a measure of how the internal energy of a system changes when it expands or contracts at constant temperature. It has the same dimensions as pressure, the SI unit of which is the pascal. Internal pressure is usually given the symbol .

that is exactly what you said. :) without the condescending attitude of course
 
You're still obsessing. Whether or not you are able to assign a physical significance to what you are calling Pi will have no bearing on your ability to understand what is really important in thermodynamics. So let it go. There are things that you really are going to need to understand.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: grandpa2390