In optics what do Tp and Ts stand for and what are they?

In summary, Tp and Ts in optics refer to the highest and lowest amounts of light transmitted, respectively, through a material. These terms may also refer to reflection/transmission coefficients related to the polarization components of a wave with respect to the surface orientation. Further context is needed for a more precise answer.
btb4198
In optics what do Tp and Ts stand for and what are they?

I believe Tp is the highest amount of light transmitted and Ts is the Lowest amount of light transmitted though a material.
but I cannot find that much information on these terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
You'll need to tell us more about the context for a good answer. But I thought of reflection/transmission coefficients because of the subscripts. If so, it's about the polarization components of the wave w.r.t. the surface orientation.

Likes vanhees71 and Ibix
DaveE said:
You'll need to tell us more about the context for a good answer. But I thought of reflection/transmission coefficients because of the subscripts. If so, it's about the polarization components of the wave w.r.t. the surface orientation.
yes that is what I was talking about

Likes DaveE

1. What do Tp and Ts stand for in optics?

Tp and Ts are abbreviations for the terms Transmittance parallel and Transmittance perpendicular, respectively. These terms are used to describe the amount of light that is transmitted through a polarizing material.

2. How are Tp and Ts measured?

Tp and Ts are measured using a polarimeter, which is a device that measures the intensity of light passing through a polarizing material at different angles. The measurements are then used to calculate the transmittance values.

3. What is the difference between Tp and Ts?

The main difference between Tp and Ts is the orientation of the polarizing material. Tp measures the transmittance when the polarizing material is parallel to the incident light, while Ts measures the transmittance when the polarizing material is perpendicular to the incident light.

4. How are Tp and Ts used in optics?

Tp and Ts are important parameters in optics, particularly in the study of polarized light. They are used to characterize the properties of polarizing materials and to determine the amount of light that is transmitted through them. They are also used in the design of optical devices, such as polarizers and filters.

5. What factors can affect Tp and Ts values?

The transmittance values of Tp and Ts can be affected by various factors, including the thickness and quality of the polarizing material, the wavelength of the incident light, and the angle of incidence. Additionally, impurities or defects in the material can also impact the transmittance values.