Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In Wikipedia, it is said that[tex]\mathrm dy=\frac{\mathrm

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    In Wikipedia, it is said that
    [tex]\mathrm dy=\frac{\mathrm dy}{\mathrm dx}\mathrm dx.[/tex]
    Can we divide both sides by [itex]\mathrm dx[/itex] and say that the derivative is [itex]\mathrm dy[/itex] divided by [itex]\mathrm dx[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Differentials

Yes. That is the usual convention. I think it is less confusing for a calculus student to introduce differentials using the prime notation like this: Given y = f(x) and y' = f'(x), if dx is a small nonzero change in x we define the symbol dy = f'(x) dx. dy can be thought of the change in the y value of the tangent line or the approximate change in y if dx is small. In any case, if you divide both sides by dx you have dy/dx = f'(x).

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3

It looks like ordinary division of numbers, but [itex]\mathrm dx[/itex] and [itex]\mathrm dy[/itex] are not ordinary numbers. However, we manipulate them symbolically in a way that appears like they are real numbers, for the sake of intuition. But we can do this without loss of precision! A good demonstration of it is using the substitution rule for integrals:

[tex]\int f'(g(x))g'(x) \mathrm dx[/tex]

Substituting u = g(x), we get, by the chain rule for derivatives,

[tex]\int f'(u) \frac{\mathrm du}{\mathrm dx} {\mathrm dx} = f(u) + C = \int f'(u) \mathrm du[/tex]

The last equality is given by the definition of antiderivative. Though we didn't actually "cancel out" the differentials like fractions, it does turn out that we can safely write [itex]\frac{\mathrm du}{\mathrm dx} {\mathrm dx} = \mathrm du[/itex], by the chain of equalities. Note that the justification for this, however, has nothing to do with fractions.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  5. Aug 25, 2011 #4

I mean, if we define dy and dx like that, then is it totally correct to say that dy/dx is dy divided by dx?

6. Aug 25, 2011 #5

Don't you really have to define "divide" (namely, "division") in order to do that? But "divide" typically refers to an operation involving numbers -- and differentials aren't numbers.

7. Aug 25, 2011 #6

Well, we can define division for differentials, why not?

8. Aug 25, 2011 #7

Alright, then wouldn't we be interested in defining what a differential is first, so we can define operations on them?

I think in the elementary, traditional sense, "division" here doesn't really work. I've always thought [itex]\frac{\mathrm dy}{\mathrm dx}[/itex] was cool-looking, but a bit notationally abusive.

9. Aug 26, 2011 #8

You might do that.. Sometimes there are things that is written in a book, etc. that is really confusing to understand. Maybe a simple explanation might be helpful when you are just starting calculus rather than those with lots of formula. Like those that I red before about the law of derivatives that when i read it. It is so confusing so i just make my own shortcut formula rather do those.

10. Aug 26, 2011 #9

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Hmmm, differentials are really part of of exterior algebra which is a very important tool for differential geometry. So I think you should look into exterior algebra for a firm understanding of a differential.

11. Aug 26, 2011 #10

Do you have any resources for studying exterior algebra? I'd prefer some online resources since I can't gain access to any bookstores or libraries that have some serious mathematics books (I'm still at junior high school).

12. Aug 26, 2011 #11

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Any set of notes on elementary differential geometry will do but google is your friend...

13. Aug 26, 2011 #12

Thanks. Just needed to know what to search for (I tried to search for exterior algebra but every result turned out very difficult.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook