Incoming spacelike radial geodesic

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that an incoming radial spacelike geodesic satisfies r >= 1m/(1 + E^2) using the Schwarzschild metric. It is mentioned that E = (1-2m/r) is a constant and that ds squared should be negative for a spacelike geodesic. There is confusion about the meaning of "incoming" and the geodesic equations in the Schwarzschild metric with constant angular coordinates. It is clarified that E = (1-2m/r) dt/ds is a constant and the other geodesic equation gives d^2 s/dt^2. It is also pointed out that setting ds^2 to be negative is not
deadringer
We need to show that using the Schwarzschild metric, an incoming radial spacelike geodesic satisfies r>= 1m/(1 + E^2)

I know that E = (1-2m/r) is constant, and I think that ds squared should be negative for a spacelike geodesic. I try substituting E into the metric and setting ds squared <=0 but this does not give the required expressions. I'm also unsure about the meaning of "incoming" - does this mean dr/ds or dr/dt < 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not making sense to me on so many levels. If E = (1-2m/r) is a constant then r is a constant. And that's hardly 'incoming'. What are the geodesic equations in the Schwarzschild metric with constant angular coordinates?

Sorry I meant to say that E = (1-2m/r) dt/ds is constant (this is one geodesic equation).

The other geodesic equation gives us d^2 s/dt^2 which I don't think is useful.

Ah, ok. Finally straightened out. And the '1' in the numerator of the radius inequality is supposed to be a '2'. I think your main problem is trying to set ds^2 to be negative in some vague way. Spacelike or timelike is determined by the sign of g*t*t - where g is the metric tensor and t is a tangent vector. Further, in the case of a nonnull geodesic you can set this quantity equal to plus or minus one (defining proper time). Which that is depends on whether the geodesic is timelike or spacelike (and your metric convention).

Thanks very much Dick. It's all clear now.

1. What is an incoming spacelike radial geodesic?

An incoming spacelike radial geodesic is a curve or path in spacetime that describes the motion of an object traveling towards a central mass, such as a planet or star, at a constant speed and along a straight line that is perpendicular to the radial direction.

2. How is an incoming spacelike radial geodesic different from other types of geodesics?

An incoming spacelike radial geodesic is unique because it is a timelike path, meaning that it is possible for an object to travel along this path and experience time passing. In contrast, a spacelike path does not allow for time to pass, and a null path has a constant speed of light.

3. What is the significance of an incoming spacelike radial geodesic in general relativity?

In general relativity, an incoming spacelike radial geodesic is important because it describes the motion of massive objects in the presence of a central mass. This is essential for understanding the effects of gravity and how massive objects interact with spacetime.

4. Can an incoming spacelike radial geodesic be observed or measured?

Yes, an incoming spacelike radial geodesic can be observed and measured using various astronomical instruments and techniques. For example, the motion of planets around the Sun can be described by an incoming spacelike radial geodesic and can be observed through telescopes or measured using spacecraft.

5. How does an incoming spacelike radial geodesic relate to the concept of gravitational attraction?

An incoming spacelike radial geodesic is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of a massive object, such as a planet or star. This curvature is responsible for the gravitational attraction between objects and is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.