Can contour integration always be used to solve integrals?

• Thread starter secret2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the function \int_{0}^\infty \frac{x}{(x^2+c^2)^3} dx using contour integration and a change in variable. It is mentioned that using contour integration yielded zero, but later it was discovered that it can be done simply by making a change in variable. It is also mentioned that the function does not have real poles, so the obvious substitution could be used. The speaker, Daniel, suggests that the result will not be awkward.
secret2
I am trying to do the integration

[tex]\int_{0}^\infty \frac{x}{(x^2+c^2)^3} dx [/tex]

At first I tried doing it with contour integration, but yielded zero. Later I figured out that it can actually be done simply by making a change in variable (squeezing the x in the numerator into the dx). Is it possible to do it with contour integration (though not necessary)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
secret2 said:
I am trying to do the integration

[tex]\int_{0}^\infty \frac{x}{(x^2+c^2)^3} dx [/tex]

At first I tried doing it with contour integration, but yielded zero. Later I figured out that it can actually be done simply by making a change in variable (squeezing the x in the numerator into the dx). Is it possible to do it with contour integration (though not necessary)?

Since it doesn't have real poles (thre denominator does not cancel in R),why didn't u try to do it only by the obvious substitution.I'm sure the result will not be awkward.

Daniel.

It is not always possible to solve an integral using contour integration. In fact, contour integration is a powerful technique that can be used to evaluate many complex integrals, but it is not always the most efficient method. In this case, it may be easier to make a change of variable to solve the integral rather than using contour integration. However, it is always good to explore different methods and techniques when solving integrals, as it can help to deepen our understanding of the problem and potentially provide alternative solutions. So while it may not be necessary in this case, it is always beneficial to try out different approaches.

What is inconsistence in integral?

Inconsistence in integral refers to a situation where the value of an integral changes depending on the method used to evaluate it. This can happen due to various reasons such as improper use of integration techniques, incorrect assumptions, or limitations of the chosen method.

What is an example of inconsistence in integral?

One example of inconsistence in integral is when evaluating the integral of a trigonometric function using integration by parts method, the result may differ depending on which trigonometric identity is used to simplify the integrand.

Why is inconsistence in integral a problem?

Inconsistence in integral can be a problem because it can lead to incorrect results in mathematical calculations and can cause confusion and errors in scientific experiments and simulations. It can also make it difficult to compare results obtained using different methods.

How can inconsistence in integral be avoided?

To avoid inconsistence in integral, it is important to carefully choose the appropriate integration technique and make sure all assumptions and limitations are taken into account. Double-checking the results and using alternative methods for verification can also help identify and resolve any inconsistencies.

What are the implications of inconsistence in integral in scientific research?

Inconsistence in integral can have significant implications in scientific research as it can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder progress in understanding complex phenomena. It is important for scientists to be aware of potential inconsistencies and to use rigorous methods to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their results.