Increasing size of front tyre.

• Thread starter DMFisher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Increasing
In summary: If conditions are reallly bad, tank treads may be a better option than tires.If conditions are reallly bad, tank treads may be a better option than tires.
DMFisher
Hi Everyone,

I'm involved in the mining industry, and been given a project based on the towing tractors used underground.
These tractors often have to work in ridiculous conditions, and my project is to investigate how to prevent these tractors from getting stuck in the sections, specifically looking at how increasing the size of the front tyre would effect the tractors and if that would resolve the issue. Obviously if this is not an option, any other suggestions would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Not sure how we can help but if you explain your problem in more detail.

Is this for a school project? If so what level of schooling?

What causes the vehicle to get stuck? a tire blows out? or it loses traction?motor stalls?

Why would the size of a tire matter in this case?

If the vehicles are operating in soft ground like sand or mud, then wider and taller tires will tend to get stuck less. If conditions are reallly bad, tank treads may be a better option than tires.

rcgldr said:
If conditions are reallly bad, tank treads may be a better option than tires.
True, but also far more difficult and expensive to both construct and maintain. A really good lugged tread design can bridge the gap.

jedishrfu said:
Is this for a school project? If so what level of schooling?
Well it's a project for my Vacation work. So it's of the level of a corporate company.

jedishrfu said:
What causes the vehicle to get stuck?
The tractors themselves get stuck in the sections where it is often very muddy, and tall obstacles of loss ground (coal).
They get stuck in the mud, and loss traction causing the front tyres to spin.

Something to note is these tractors are continuously pulling heavy loads, such as scissor trails and stone dusters.

jedishrfu said:
Why would the size of a tire matter in this case?
My project specifically aims at investigating whether increasing the size of the front tyre would help,
but I'm essentially I'm looking and any and every option to resolve this issue.

Many military trucks have the ability to increase or decrease tire pressure to adapt to the conditions of terrain.

1. What is the purpose of increasing the size of front tyres?

The main purpose of increasing the size of front tyres is to improve the handling and stability of the vehicle. A larger front tyre will have a wider contact patch with the road, providing better traction and grip. This can also help with braking and cornering performance.

2. How does increasing the size of front tyres affect fuel efficiency?

Increasing the size of front tyres can have a negative impact on fuel efficiency. A larger tyre will have more rolling resistance, meaning the engine has to work harder to move the vehicle. This can result in a decrease in fuel efficiency.

3. Can increasing the size of front tyres damage the suspension?

In most cases, increasing the size of front tyres will not cause damage to the suspension. However, if the new tyres are significantly larger or heavier than the original ones, it could put extra strain on the suspension components and potentially lead to damage over time.

4. Are there any benefits to increasing the size of front tyres?

Aside from improved handling and stability, increasing the size of front tyres can also provide a smoother ride. The larger tyres can absorb more bumps and vibrations from the road, resulting in a more comfortable driving experience. Additionally, larger tyres may have a longer lifespan compared to smaller ones.

5. Is it necessary to increase the size of both front tyres or can I just replace one?

In general, it is recommended to replace both front tyres at the same time. This ensures that the tyres have the same tread depth and characteristics, which is important for maintaining balance and stability while driving. However, if one tyre needs to be replaced due to damage or wear, it is possible to just replace that one tyre with a larger size, but it is not recommended.