Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Increasing the amount of volts would have an effect

1. Sep 9, 2006 #1

If anyone know's something about electromagnets. I was wondering if you could either explane to me, or show me where I could find some information about whether or not icreasing the amount of volt's would have an effect on how strong the electromagnet would be. That would be great!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean the amount of volt used to generate the current that will be responsible for the polarizing magnetic field?
  4. Sep 10, 2006 #3
    I think there's a limit to the amount of magnetization you can induce in a ferromagnet. If you get all the spins to point in the same direction you get maximum magnetization.
    In general, ferromagnets behave in a very complicated way. Moreover, I don't even think there's a rigorous physical explanation for how they work. However, you might try using empiric data (hysteresis curves) to calculate the maximum voltage you need.
  5. Sep 10, 2006 #4
    He's talking about an electromagnet though.
  6. Sep 10, 2006 #5
    Increasing current would probably increase the magnetic field
  7. Sep 11, 2006 #6

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Electromagnets usually have a ferromagnetic core.
    They are usually designed so that the current in the coils will achieve saturation for the core. Increasing the voltage (and hence the current) toward the saturation value will increase the strength. But any voltage increase beyond that would have little effect.
  8. Sep 14, 2006 #7
    Thanks everyone for your help, and explanation. I will be shure to use the information you have given me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?