Incredibly lost on Calorimetry Problem

In summary: That would change the equation to:Q(heat energy)=m(mass)*c(specific heat)*(change of temp)*latent heat.In summary, an alcohol rub can rapidly reduce an elevated body temperature in a patient. The heat energy lost by the person is due to the evaporation of alcohol. Find the number of grams of alcohol that must be evaporated from the surface of a 75 kg person to reduce the body temperature by 2.5 degrees C. The heat of vaporization for alcohol is 204 cal/g. The specific heat capacity of the human body is 0.83 cal/g degrees C.
tessie0407

Homework Statement

An alcohol rub can rapidly reduce an elevated body temperature in a patient. The heat energy lost by the person is due to the evaporation of alcohol. Find the number of grams of alcohol that must be evaporated from the surface of a 75 kg person to reduce the body temperature by 2.5 degrees C. The heat of vaporization for alcohol is 204 cal/g. The specific heat capacity of the human body is 0.83 cal/g degrees C.

Homework Equations

It is a change of temperature problem and a change of phase problem so I am unsure as to the formula. Change of temp is Q=(mass)(specific heat)(change of Temp) and change of phase is Q=(mass)(latent heat)

Can someone please help me determine which formula I am to use to solve? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Physics news on Phys.org
As you noted, it's both "a change of temperature problem and a change of phase problem," so you need to use both formulas.

Energy conservation tells you the amount the heat lost by the body is equal to the amount of heat that goes into evaporating the alcohol.

Thank you. I was sure it was but he has never given a problem of this difficulty so I was sure that I was reading more into it. I appreciate the confirmation. I'm going to get to work on it and hope I can figure it out. Thanks again for the quick reply.

I've been working on this problem for hours and have come up with the following thus far. Can someone let me know if I am on the right track?

Q(heat energy)=m(mass)*c(specific heat)*change of time

Q=(75 kg)*(2430 J/kg degrees C)*(2.5 degrees C)= 455,625 Joules

That portion is for the temperature change. Now I believe I need to find the phase change. Does this look like I am heading in the right direction?

Yes, that's exactly what you need to do. However, where did you get 2430 from? 1 calorie is 4.184 J, so 0.86 cal/g should not be 2430 J/kg.

2430 J/kg degrees C is the specific heat for Ethyl Alcohol listed in my textbook. Is that what I am supposed to have in the equation?

Oops, nevermind. I just realized that I am working on the patient specific heat not the alcohol.

1. What is calorimetry?

Calorimetry is the science of measuring the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical process. It is used to determine the energy content of foods, fuels, and other substances.

2. How is calorimetry used in scientific experiments?

Calorimetry is used in experiments to measure the heat released or absorbed by a system. This can help determine the energy changes that occur during a reaction, as well as the heat capacity of a substance.

3. What are the units of measurement used in calorimetry?

The units of measurement used in calorimetry include joules (J) for energy, grams (g) for mass, and degrees Celsius (°C) for temperature. It is important to use consistent units when performing calculations in calorimetry.

4. How do you solve a calorimetry problem?

To solve a calorimetry problem, you need to identify the known and unknown variables, determine the appropriate formula to use, and plug in the values. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the specific type of calorimetry problem.

5. What are some common sources of error in calorimetry experiments?

Some common sources of error in calorimetry experiments include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of reactants, and measurement errors. It is important to minimize these errors as much as possible to obtain accurate results.