1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indefinite Integral of (1/x^2)

1. Jun 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, first of all I would like to apologize for the fact that this question is extremely trivial compared to the other questions being asked. I have a improper integral problem, and the entire problem itself is not relevant, because I understand everything in it except for one thing. One step in the problem requires finding the indefinite integral of (1/x^2). The example in the book tells me that the answer is (-1/x), and it says that the answer is obtained by using the reverse power rule, but I just can’t see how they got that answer. I have a feeling that it is something very simple, and that I’ve forgotten some subtle detail.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here’s how I tried to solve it:

(1/x^2) has an overall power of one, right? I increased the power of the whole thing by one, which is (1/x^2)^2, and I divided the whole thing by two, which is the same thing as multiplying by ½. So…

(½)(1/x^2)^2

You can already see that this is not going to give an answer of (-1/x). Could someone please help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

[tex]\int x^n\,dx = {1\over n+1}x^{n+1} + C[/tex]
    In your case, [itex]n=-2[/itex].

4. Jun 8, 2009 #3
    Hmmm....okay, I'll buy that. But why is n negative 2? If I'm raising the whole thing to the power of 2, why isn't n just positive 2? Thank you!

5. Jun 8, 2009 #4
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{x^n} = x^{-n}
    [/tex]

A basic property of exponents.

6. Jun 8, 2009 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Raising the entire expression to the power of 2 would give you [itex](1/x^2)^2=1/x^4=x^{-4}[/itex].

7. Jun 8, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To expand on what kbaumen wrote, and relative to your problem,
    [tex]\frac{1}{x^2} = x^{-2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook