1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indefinite integral of vector function

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [tex]{\vec{V}(t)[/tex] is a vector function of [tex] t [/tex], find the indefinite integral:

[tex] \int (\vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2}) \,dt [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have solved it by decomposing and integrating each terms of vector [tex]\vec{V}\times \frac{d^2t}{dt^2}[/tex], so I have:

[tex]
    \vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2}= \hat i (V_y * \frac{d^2V_z}{dt^2} - V_z * \frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2}) - \hat j (V_x * \frac{d^2V_z}{dt^2} - V_z * \frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2}) + \hat k (V_x * \frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2} - V_y * \frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2})
    [/tex]

and the integral will be:

[tex]

\int (\vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2}) \,dt = \hat i (\int (V_y * \frac{d^2V_z}{dt^2})\,dt - \int (V_z * \frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2})\,dt) - \hat j (\int (V_x * \frac{d^2V_z}{dt^2})\,dt - \int (V_z * \frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2}))\,dt + \hat k (\int (V_x * \frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2})\,dt - \int (V_y * \frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2}),dt)

[/tex]

where [tex]\hat i[/tex],[tex]\hat j[/tex] and [tex]\hat k[/tex] are the three unit vectors with respect to frame of reference [tex](x,y,z)[/tex]

My questions is: that's the right way or there exist some other way to resolve it in a more faster manner?
    Thanks to all who will answer me ;)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Why do you have the cross product with
    [tex]\frac{d^2t}{dt^2}?[/tex]

Surely this is a mistake.

4. Feb 2, 2009 #3
    Yeah, sorry. Really the integral was

[tex]
    \int (\vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2}) \,dt
    [/tex]

In fact it includes a vector as a result of the cross product whose components are function of t. Does anybody have any idea?

5. Feb 2, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

OK, that makes more sense. For your question, it might be that there is a simpler manner to approach this, but I don't know it. What you're doing is what I would do.

6. Feb 2, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm :redface:

Hint: what is the derivative of V x dV/dt? :wink:

7. Feb 2, 2009 #6

[tex]

\frac{d(\vec{V}\times \frac{d\vec{V}}{dt})}{dt} = \vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2} + \frac{d\vec{V}}{dt} \times \frac{d\vec{V}}{dt} = \vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2}

[/tex]

so result of the integral is [tex]\vec{V}\times \frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}[/tex], is it exact? :)

8. Feb 2, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, plus a constant vector!

why? … is something worrying you? :wink:

9. Feb 2, 2009 #8
    Thanks for the help.... ;)

10. Mar 8, 2011 #9
    wizard85 is there anyway you can expand on how you took the derivative of the cross product of V and dV/dt ? I am doing the same problem and can not bridge that gap....

11. Mar 8, 2011 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi selms05! :smile:

the product rule applies to a cross product (or a dot product) in exactly the same way as to an ordinary product :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?