Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Indefinite integral of vector function

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [tex]{\vec{V}(t)[/tex] is a vector function of [tex] t [/tex], find the indefinite integral:

[tex] \int (\vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2}) \,dt [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have solved it by decomposing and integrating each terms of vector [tex]\vec{V}\times \frac{d^2t}{dt^2}[/tex], so I have:

[tex]
    \vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2}= \hat i (V_y * \frac{d^2V_z}{dt^2} - V_z * \frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2}) - \hat j (V_x * \frac{d^2V_z}{dt^2} - V_z * \frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2}) + \hat k (V_x * \frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2} - V_y * \frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2})
    [/tex]

and the integral will be:

[tex]

\int (\vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2}) \,dt = \hat i (\int (V_y * \frac{d^2V_z}{dt^2})\,dt - \int (V_z * \frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2})\,dt) - \hat j (\int (V_x * \frac{d^2V_z}{dt^2})\,dt - \int (V_z * \frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2}))\,dt + \hat k (\int (V_x * \frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2})\,dt - \int (V_y * \frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2}),dt)

[/tex]

where [tex]\hat i[/tex],[tex]\hat j[/tex] and [tex]\hat k[/tex] are the three unit vectors with respect to frame of reference [tex](x,y,z)[/tex]

My questions is: that's the right way or there exist some other way to resolve it in a more faster manner?
    Thanks to all who will answer me ;)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Why do you have the cross product with
    [tex]\frac{d^2t}{dt^2}?[/tex]

Surely this is a mistake.

4. Feb 2, 2009 #3
    Yeah, sorry. Really the integral was

[tex]
    \int (\vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2}) \,dt
    [/tex]

In fact it includes a vector as a result of the cross product whose components are function of t. Does anybody have any idea?

5. Feb 2, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

OK, that makes more sense. For your question, it might be that there is a simpler manner to approach this, but I don't know it. What you're doing is what I would do.

6. Feb 2, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm :redface:

Hint: what is the derivative of V x dV/dt? :wink:

7. Feb 2, 2009 #6

[tex]

\frac{d(\vec{V}\times \frac{d\vec{V}}{dt})}{dt} = \vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2} + \frac{d\vec{V}}{dt} \times \frac{d\vec{V}}{dt} = \vec{V}\times \frac{d^2\vec{V}}{dt^2}

[/tex]

so result of the integral is [tex]\vec{V}\times \frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}[/tex], is it exact? :)

8. Feb 2, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, plus a constant vector!

why? … is something worrying you? :wink:

9. Feb 2, 2009 #8
    Thanks for the help.... ;)

10. Mar 8, 2011 #9
    wizard85 is there anyway you can expand on how you took the derivative of the cross product of V and dV/dt ? I am doing the same problem and can not bridge that gap....

11. Mar 8, 2011 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi selms05! :smile:

the product rule applies to a cross product (or a dot product) in exactly the same way as to an ordinary product :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook