Indefinite Integration of a Rational Expression

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of substitution in indefinite integrals and the importance of including the "d" part when substituting. The example given involves a numerator that is the derivative of the denominator, leading to the substitution of a variable "w". The solution involves replacing the "d" part with the appropriate expression to solve the integral.
communitycoll

Homework Statement

<Indefinite integral sign here>[r^2 -2r] / [r^3 - 3r^2 + 1]dr
or the second example in the "Substitution" section here:
http://people.clarkson.edu/~sfulton/ma132/parfrac.pdf

Homework Equations

nada.

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing to really attempt, I just don't get what they do with the numerator (i.e., how it turns into a 1).

Physics news on Phys.org
hi communitycoll! :smile:
(have an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
communitycoll said:
… I just don't get what they do with the numerator (i.e., how it turns into a 1).

ah, nooo, the numerator isn't r2 - 2r, it's (r2 - 2r)dr !

(and of course that's 1 times dw :wink:)

the trick in substitution is that you always have to substitute the "d" part also! :smile:

If you read that attachment carefully, you would have seen this:
Solution: Here we notice that the numerator is the derivative of the denominator (to within a constant factor).
So they let
w = r3 - 3r2 + 1,
so
dw = 3r2 - 6r dr,
which is the same as
dw = 3(r2 - 2r) dr.

Do you see it now?

Okay then. Yeah, I understand now. Thanks.

1. What is indefinite integration?

Indefinite integration is a mathematical process of finding the antiderivative of a given function. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to find the original function when its derivative is known.

2. What is a rational expression?

A rational expression is a fraction where the numerator and denominator are polynomials. In other words, it is a ratio of two polynomial functions.

3. How do you integrate a rational expression?

To integrate a rational expression, you can use the method of partial fractions. This involves breaking down the rational expression into simpler fractions and then finding the antiderivative of each fraction individually.

4. What is the general formula for indefinite integration of a rational expression?

The general formula for indefinite integration of a rational expression is: ∫(A/(x-a) + B/(x-b) + ... + N/(x-n)) dx = Aln(x-a) + Bln(x-b) + ... + Nln(x-n) + C, where A, B, ..., N are constants and C is the constant of integration.

5. What are some common techniques used in solving indefinite integration of rational expressions?

Some common techniques used in solving indefinite integration of rational expressions include the method of partial fractions, substitution, and integration by parts. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry when solving these types of integrals.