1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent random variable expected value

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let the join probability density function of ZX and Y be given by
    [tex]f(x,y)=\left\{\stackrel{2e^{-(x+2y)}\ \ \ \ \ if\ x\ \geq,\ \ \ y\ \geq\ 0}{0\ \ \ \ \ \ \ otherwise}[/tex]
    Find [tex]E(X^{2}Y)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    I approached this problem using a theorem from the book that states
    E[h(X,Y)] =[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}h(x,y)f(x,y)dxdy[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the above formula, I did the following:
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}\int^{\infty}_{0}x^{2}y2e^{-(x+2y)}dxdy=[/tex]
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}\int^{\infty}_{0}2ye^{-2y}x^{2}e^{-x}dxdy=[/tex]
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}2ye^{-2y}[-x^{2}e^{-x}\ +\ \int^{\infty}_{0}2x(-e^{-x})dx]dy=[/tex]
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}2ye^{-2y}[-x^{2}e^{-x}\ +\ 2xe^{-x}\ +\ \int^{\infty}_{0}2e^{-x}dx]dy=[/tex]
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}2ye^{-2y}[-x^{2}e^{-x}\ +\ 2xe^{-x}\ -\ 2e^{-x}]^{\infty}_{0}dy=[/tex]
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}2ye^{-2y}[(0+0-0)-(0+0-2)]dy=[/tex]
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}2y2e^{-2y}dy=[/tex]
    [tex]-2ye^{-2y}\ +\ \int^{\infty}_{0}-2e^{-2y}dy=[/tex]
    [tex][-2ye^{-2y}\ +\ e^{-2y}]^{\infty}_{0}=[/tex]
    [tex][(0+0)-(0+1)\ =\ -1[/tex]

I know the answer is supposed to be positive one, not negative one. I have gone over my calculations several times and can not find where I am making a mistake. I also accept that real possibility that I am approaching this in the wrong way in the first place. can someone help me out on this problem? Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2
    I found that in this last step, you have a negative sign inside the integral which should not be there. Remember integration by parts is [itex]uv-\int v\,du[/itex], so you should have a negative in front of the integration sign, which will then cancel with the negative inside.

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    gah, thanks for the catch. Looking past that, I realized I had consistently added rather than subtracted when doing my integration by parts, so I did the sign wrong three times resulting in a change in the final answer from negative to positive. Thanks for pointing it out.

5. Apr 7, 2009 #4
    No problem. Negative signs are always killers on those type of integrals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook