Independent Research Opportunities for High School Senior?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
CRBK92
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I am currently a senior in high school and I am working towards a career which involves the study of physics. I am somewhat aware of independent research opportunities for high school students in other areas of science, but I do not know of any opportunities which I could explore for physics.

To give you an idea of what I may be able to take part in: This year I am doing post-secondary coursework through The Ohio State University--I am taking 3 quarters of Calculus and in the spring I will be taking an "advanced" physics class (I was unable to schedule for fall or winter term). I would say that I am "beyond" the level of high school physics. I am not brilliant per se, but I am taking strides to understand the material better.

I hope this question isn't too general, but is there any form of independent research that I could potentially be involved with? Is there something I could do through the university?

Thank You
 
Physics news on Phys.org
CRBK92 said:
I hope this question isn't too general, but is there any form of independent research that I could potentially be involved with? Is there something I could do through the university

Talk to your professors at OSU and see if they'd be willing to take you on as a student or if any of their colleagues would be willing to. You're looking for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) initiatives/STEM programs-those are the college outreach programs to recruit students into the fields. Also look for high school REU type programs. There are a few floating around.

Intel Science Talent Search covers just about every discipline.
 
I'm not sure what you're interested in doing but NASA has a number of opportunities for high school students: http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/9-12/programs/index.html

there are a few internship opportunities a little ways down the list. I don't think there are many specific for physics but any experience is good experience.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on how far away you live. Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton has a good program for high school juniors/seniors over the summer.
 
I believe I'm going to look into doing some kind of undergraduate research at OSU. I am planning to attend an informational session on campus this upcoming Monday which should help:

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/Research.php"

Hopefully I will be able to work something out.
 
Last edited by a moderator: