1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent Research Opportunities for High School Senior?

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    I am currently a senior in high school and I am working towards a career which involves the study of physics. I am somewhat aware of independent research opportunities for high school students in other areas of science, but I do not know of any opportunities which I could explore for physics.

To give you an idea of what I may be able to take part in: This year I am doing post-secondary coursework through The Ohio State University--I am taking 3 quarters of Calculus and in the spring I will be taking an "advanced" physics class (I was unable to schedule for fall or winter term). I would say that I am "beyond" the level of high school physics. I am not brilliant per se, but I am taking strides to understand the material better.

I hope this question isn't too general, but is there any form of independent research that I could potentially be involved with? Is there something I could do through the university?

Thank You
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2
    Talk to your professors at OSU and see if they'd be willing to take you on as a student or if any of their colleagues would be willing to. You're looking for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) initiatives/STEM programs-those are the college outreach programs to recruit students into the fields. Also look for high school REU type programs. There are a few floating around.

Intel Science Talent Search covers just about every discipline.
  4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    I'm not sure what you're interested in doing but NASA has a number of opportunities for high school students: http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/9-12/programs/index.html [Broken]

there are a few internship opportunities a little ways down the list. I don't think there are many specific for physics but any experience is good experience.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jan 8, 2010 #4
    Depending on how far away you live. Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton has a good program for high school juniors/seniors over the summer.
  6. Jan 9, 2010 #5
    I believe I'm going to look into doing some kind of undergraduate research at OSU. I am planning to attend an informational session on campus this upcoming Monday which should help:

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/Research.php" [Broken]

Hopefully I will be able to work something out.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook