Indeterminate Forms and l'Hopital's Rule

In summary: Thanks for the help.Thanks for the help, I completely forgot that I can rewrite the natural log. I got the correct answer now.
Reefy

Homework Statement

Lim as x→∞ of ((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(sqrtx)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I initially plugged in ∞ for my x, I get (∞/∞)^∞, correct?

If so, should I just let y=((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(sqrtx) and take the limit of both sides using ln?

That's what I attempted to do and I got lim x→∞ of (sqrtx)(ln((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(sqrtx)) = (inf)(ln(∞/∞)) which I can't make any sense of.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Reefy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If so, should I just let y=((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(sqrtx) and take the limit of both sides using ln?

That's what I attempted to do and I got lim x→∞ of (sqrtx)(ln((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(sqrtx)) = (inf)(ln(∞/∞)) which I can't make any sense of.
Hello Reefy. Welcome to PF !

I'm not sure what you mean by: "take the limit of both sides using ln?"

You should consider taking the natural log of both sides of
[itex]\displaystyle
y=\left(\frac{2x+1}{2x-1}\right)^\sqrt{x}\ .[/itex]​
Then see if you can get a suitable indeterminate form so that you can use L'Hôpital's rule .

SammyS said:
Hello Reefy. Welcome to PF !

I'm not sure what you mean by: "take the limit of both sides using ln?"

You should consider taking the natural log of both sides of
[itex]\displaystyle
y=\left(\frac{2x+1}{2x-1}\right)^\sqrt{x}\ .[/itex]​
Then see if you can get a suitable indeterminate form so that you can use L'Hôpital's rule .

Thanks, I've been lurking for awhile and decided to make an account.

What I meant is exactly what you said lol. I wrote:

lim as x→∞ of lny = lim as x→∞ of ln((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(√x)

When I brought the √x down I got, lim as x→∞ of (√x)(ln((2x+1)/(2x-1)) = (∞) times ln(∞/∞).

Should I be getting ln (∞/∞) or am I doing something wrong? If it's correct, I don't know what to do from there on

Edit: How do I write out the equations and functions like you did so it can be clearer?

Reefy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

No. Your answer can't be ∞/∞, as that is indeterminate. Now, since (2x + 1)/(2x -1) → 2 as x → ∞, what you really have is [1], which is another indeterminate form.
Reefy said:

That should be lim(x→∞) [√x * ln((2x+1)/(2x-1))]. Keep in mind that the expression here is different from what you started with - it's the log of that expression. Any limit you get will be the log of what you should have for the original expression.

Reefy said:
Thanks, I've been lurking for awhile and decided to make an account.

What I meant is exactly what you said lol. I wrote:

lim as x→∞ of lny = lim as x→∞ of ln((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(√x)

When I brought the √x down I got, lim as x→∞ of (√x)(ln((2x+1)/(2x-1)) = (∞) times ln(∞/∞).

Should I be getting ln (∞/∞) or am I doing something wrong? If it's correct, I don't know what to do from there on

Edit: How do I write out the equations and functions like you did so it can be clearer?
Last question first:

Those mathematical expressions are written using something called LaTeX. Here are some links which may help you with LaTeX.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=617570&highlight=latex

https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=514469

To get to the online LaTeX editor, click the Big Ʃ icon above the "Advanced" message box -- the box in which you compose your posts.

Now for the main subject. (I see that Mark44 has answered your post while I was composing the above.) I'll just make one point.

Write [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \ln\left(\frac{2x+1}{2x-1}\right)\ \ \ \text{ as }\ \ \ \ln(2x+1)-\ln(2x-1)\ .[/itex]

Mark44 said:
No. Your answer can't be ∞/∞, as that is indeterminate. Now, since (2x + 1)/(2x -1) → 2 as x → ∞, what you really have is [1], which is another indeterminate form.

That should be lim(x→∞) [√x * ln((2x+1)/(2x-1))]. Keep in mind that the expression here is different from what you started with - it's the log of that expression. Any limit you get will be the log of what you should have for the original expression.

Oops, I meant to take out that √x from the exponent. Thanks for pointing that out. I also tried the other way you showed with 1^∞ but didn't know what to do.

SammyS said:
Last question first:

Those mathematical expressions are written using something called LaTeX. Here are some links which may help you with LaTeX.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=617570&highlight=latex

https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=514469

To get to the online LaTeX editor, click the Big Ʃ icon above the "Advanced" message box -- the box in which you compose your posts.

Now for the main subject. (I see that Mark44 has answered your post while I was composing the above.) I'll just make one point.

Write [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \ln\left(\frac{2x+1}{2x-1}\right)\ \ \ \text{ as }\ \ \ \ln(2x+1)-\ln(2x-1)\ .[/itex]

Oh, I forgot that I can rewrite the natural log. Lemme see if I can get the write answer now.

What are indeterminate forms?

Indeterminate forms are mathematical expressions that cannot be evaluated using basic algebraic techniques. They typically involve the division of two quantities, where both the numerator and denominator approach either zero or infinity.

What is l'Hopital's Rule?

l'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical tool used to evaluate indeterminate forms. It states that if the limit of a function f(x) divided by g(x) is an indeterminate form, then the limit of f(x) divided by g(x) is equal to the limit of the derivatives of f(x) and g(x) divided by their derivatives.

When should l'Hopital's Rule be used?

l'Hopital's Rule should only be used when dealing with indeterminate forms in limits. It cannot be used for other types of mathematical expressions.

What are some common indeterminate forms?

Some common indeterminate forms are 0/0, ∞/∞, 0∞, ∞ - ∞, and 1∞. These forms can arise from various mathematical expressions and cannot be solved using basic algebraic techniques.

Are there any limitations to l'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are limitations to l'Hopital's Rule. It can only be used for limits involving indeterminate forms. It cannot be used for limits that do not have an indeterminate form or for limits that have multiple variables.