1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indeterminate Forms and l'Hopital's Rule

1. Nov 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Lim as x→∞ of ((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(sqrtx)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

When I initially plugged in ∞ for my x, I get (∞/∞)^∞, correct?

If so, should I just let y=((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(sqrtx) and take the limit of both sides using ln?

That's what I attempted to do and I got lim x→∞ of (sqrtx)(ln((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(sqrtx)) = (inf)(ln(∞/∞)) which I can't make any sense of.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Reefy. Welcome to PF !

I'm not sure what you mean by: "take the limit of both sides using ln?"

You should consider taking the natural log of both sides of
    [itex]\displaystyle
    y=\left(\frac{2x+1}{2x-1}\right)^\sqrt{x}\ .[/itex]​
    Then see if you can get a suitable indeterminate form so that you can use L'Hôpital's rule .

4. Nov 6, 2012 #3
    Thanks, I've been lurking for awhile and decided to make an account.

What I meant is exactly what you said lol. I wrote:

lim as x→∞ of lny = lim as x→∞ of ln((2x+1)/(2x-1))^(√x)

When I brought the √x down I got, lim as x→∞ of (√x)(ln((2x+1)/(2x-1)) = (∞) times ln(∞/∞).

Should I be getting ln (∞/∞) or am I doing something wrong? If it's correct, I don't know what to do from there on

Edit: How do I write out the equations and functions like you did so it can be clearer?

5. Nov 6, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. Your answer can't be ∞/∞, as that is indeterminate. Now, since (2x + 1)/(2x -1) → 2 as x → ∞, what you really have is [1], which is another indeterminate form.
    That should be lim(x→∞) [√x * ln((2x+1)/(2x-1))]. Keep in mind that the expression here is different from what you started with - it's the log of that expression. Any limit you get will be the log of what you should have for the original expression.

6. Nov 6, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last question first:

Those mathematical expressions are written using something called LaTeX. Here are some links which may help you with LaTeX.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=617570&highlight=latex

https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=514469

To get to the online LaTeX editor, click the Big Ʃ icon above the "Advanced" message box -- the box in which you compose your posts.

Now for the main subject. (I see that Mark44 has answered your post while I was composing the above.) I'll just make one point.

Write [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \ln\left(\frac{2x+1}{2x-1}\right)\ \ \ \text{ as }\ \ \ \ln(2x+1)-\ln(2x-1)\ .[/itex]

7. Nov 6, 2012 #6
    Oops, I meant to take out that √x from the exponent. Thanks for pointing that out. I also tried the other way you showed with 1^∞ but didn't know what to do.

Oh, I forgot that I can rewrite the natural log. Lemme see if I can get the write answer now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook