Solving Indeterminate Forms: e^∞, √∞, a^∞, 1^∞

• Thread starter RadiationX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forms
In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties recognizing indeterminate forms, specifically those involving infinity and the exponential function. The speaker explains that e^\infty and \sqrt{\infty} equal positive infinity, while e^{-\infty} equals 0. The concept of 1^\infty and the general exponential limit are also mentioned, requiring further analysis. The conversation also touches on L'Hopital's rule and the graph of e^{x}. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the graph of e^{x} can help understand these indeterminate forms.
RadiationX
I'm having trouble recognizing when an expression produces an indeterminate form. for exampe what are the following:

[tex]e^\infty[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\infty}[/tex]

more generally what is

[tex]a^\infty[/tex]

[tex]1^\infty[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] e^{\infty}[/itex] is something unclear...

[tex] e^{-\infty}=0 [/tex]

[tex] e^{+\infty}=+\infty [/tex]

[tex] \sqrt{+\infty}=+\infty [/tex]

As for [itex] 1^{\infty} [/itex] and the asymptotic limit of the general exponential,they require a special analysis...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
[itex] e^{\infty}[/itex] is something unclear...

[tex] e^{-\infty}=0 [/tex]

[tex] e^{+\infty}=+\infty [/tex]

[tex] \sqrt{+\infty}=+\infty [/tex]

As for [itex] 1^{\infty} [/itex] and the asymptotic limit of the general exponential,they require a special analysis...

Daniel.
yes i don't know why these are true

Which ?The ones i wrote...?Take a look at the definition of the exponential function and expecially at the graph of [tex] e^{x} [/itex].U'll see where the first 2 come from.As for the 3-rd,i think it's an "okay" operation in [tex] \bar{\mathbb{R}} [/tex].

Daniel.

my misunderstanding stems from this problem:

Evaluate: [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\sqrt{x}}{e^x}[/tex]

i have to use L' Hopital's rule and the above ruduces to this:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}e^\infty}=0[/tex]

now isn't [tex]0\infty[/tex] indeterminate?

Could he be thinking to split up the limit:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}[(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}})(\frac{1}{e^\infty})]=0[/tex]

but that would give the determinant form of zero times zero, which is undoubtedly zero--- not zero times infinity.

i didn't know that [tex]e^-\infty[/tex] was not equatl to [tex]e^\infty[/tex]

Well,that's because u don't know how the graph of [itex] e^{x} [/itex] looks like...

Daniel.

you are totally correct. i didn't even think about looking at that graph.

1. What is an indeterminate form?

An indeterminate form is a mathematical expression that cannot be evaluated using basic algebraic techniques. This means that the value of the expression is not clear or undefined, and further steps must be taken to determine its value.

2. What is the meaning of e^∞?

The expression e^∞ is an indeterminate form known as "exponential infinity." This means that the limit of the expression as the variable approaches infinity cannot be determined using basic algebraic techniques, and further steps must be taken to evaluate it.

3. How do you solve indeterminate forms involving infinity?

To solve indeterminate forms involving infinity, you can use techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule, which involves taking the derivative of the expression and evaluating the limit again. You can also use properties of limits, such as factoring or rewriting the expression, to determine its value.

4. What is the value of √∞?

The expression √∞ is an indeterminate form known as "square root infinity." This means that the value of the expression cannot be determined using basic algebraic techniques and further steps must be taken to evaluate it, such as using L'Hôpital's rule or rewriting the expression in a different form.

5. Can indeterminate forms ever have a finite value?

Yes, indeterminate forms can have a finite value after further steps are taken to evaluate them. For example, the expression 1^∞ can have a finite value of 1 if the limit is evaluated using techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule or properties of limits. However, it is important to note that not all indeterminate forms will have a finite value, and some may remain undefined.