Indistinguishable objects

• MHB
  • Thread starter schinb65
  • Start date
In summary, there is an investor with 20,000 to invest among 4 possible investments, each requiring a unit of 1000. The total number of investment strategies is calculated using the formula ${\binom{20000+4-1}{20000}}$ and if not all money needs to be invested, it is a problem of 20 objects in 4 spaces. The calculator used for this calculation is a TI 84 and it is important to simplify the numbers to get the correct answer.
schinb65
An investor has 20000 to invest among 4 possible investments. Each investment must be a unit of 1000. If the total 20,000 must be invested, how many different investment strategies are possible? What if not all money need to be invested?
I should solve ${\binom{20000+4-1}{20000}}$? I think I need something with the 1000.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: indestinguishable objects

Again, I must preface this with a disclaimer that I'm not confident about my solution.

1) I agree that it's \(\displaystyle \binom{3002}{3000}\). This isn't that big a number. What calculator are you using?

2) Since these must be in increments of 1000, I think it's really a problem of 20 objects in 4 spaces.

Jameson said:
Again, I must preface this with a disclaimer that I'm not confident about my solution.

1) I agree that it's \(\displaystyle \binom{3002}{3000}\). This isn't that big a number. What calculator are you using?

2) Since these must be in increments of 1000, I think it's really a problem of 20 objects in 4 spaces.

The calculator is a TI 84. I figured out the problem with the calculator. It computes the 3000! first then does the division. This number is too large but if you simplify the numbers it works. Thank you.

Jameson said:

Thank you. The 1000 bring the values down to 20 objects gives me the correct answer. Thanks

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and constraints. In this case, the investor has $20,000 to invest and there are 4 possible investments, each in units of $1000. Therefore, the total number of units available for investment is 20. We can also assume that the investor must invest all $20,000, as stated in the problem.

Using this information, we can solve for the number of different investment strategies using the formula for combinations, ${\binom{n}{k}}$, where n is the total number of units and k is the number of units per investment. In this case, n = 20 and k = 4, so we get ${\binom{20}{4}} = 4845$ possible investment strategies.

If the investor is not required to invest all $20,000, then the total number of units available for investment would be less than 20. In this case, we would use the formula for combinations with repetition, ${\binom{n+k-1}{n}}$, where n is the total number of units and k is the number of units per investment. For example, if the investor only needs to invest $15,000, then n = 15 and k = 4, giving us ${\binom{15+4-1}{15}} = {\binom{18}{15}} = 816$ possible investment strategies.

In summary, the number of different investment strategies possible depends on the total amount of money available for investment and the number of units per investment. By using the appropriate formula for combinations, we can accurately calculate the number of possible investment strategies.

1. What are indistinguishable objects?

Indistinguishable objects are objects that cannot be told apart based on their physical characteristics or properties. This means that they are identical or very similar in appearance and cannot be differentiated by the human eye.

2. Why are indistinguishable objects important in science?

Indistinguishable objects are important in science because they allow scientists to create controlled experiments and make accurate observations. By using identical objects, scientists can eliminate any potential variables that may affect their results and draw more reliable conclusions.

3. How are indistinguishable objects used in research studies?

Indistinguishable objects are used in research studies to create control groups, which are groups that are treated exactly the same except for the variable being tested. This allows scientists to isolate and measure the effects of that variable on the outcome of the study.

4. What are some examples of indistinguishable objects?

Some examples of indistinguishable objects include identical twins, cloned organisms, and particles in quantum mechanics. These objects have identical or very similar physical characteristics and properties, making them indistinguishable from each other.

5. How do scientists overcome the challenges of working with indistinguishable objects?

Scientists use various techniques and tools to overcome the challenges of working with indistinguishable objects. This may include labeling or tagging objects, using statistical analysis to differentiate between them, or using advanced technologies like DNA sequencing or spectroscopy to distinguish between similar objects.