Induced current in a coil from a constant uniform magnetic field?

In summary, the solenoid will not generate a current because the motion of the core windings does not change the amount of magnetic flux penetrating the plane of the coils.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Assume a solenoid coil(made up of ##N## windings) placed in the horizontal(##\hat{y}##) direction and in a constant uniform magnetic field.

Would an induced current run through the(closed) coil if it spins around its central horizontal ##\hat{y}## axis? My guess is "no", since such a current is generated only when a magnetic flux variation occurs(Faraday-Neumann law), and in this case, the flux through the coil stays exactly the same... but my textbook is quite confusing in this passage.

I anticipate your response(s) with another question:
- if the answer of the above is actually "no", then, how can a current be generated in the solenoid? Again, my guess is that in order to do so it should rotate around its vertical ##\hat{z}##(according to the reference chosen before) axis, causing an area and flux variation accordingly.

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
Summary:: An ambiguous statement in my textbook gave me such a doubt

My guess is "no", since such a current is generated only when a magnetic flux variation occurs(Faraday-Neumann law),

If the motion of the core windings moves through field lines, a current will be generated.
There's no difference between moving windings or a moving magnetic field
The only requirement is that by either process, the windings move through (cross) field lines

Last edited:
Likes greg_rack
davenn said:
If the motion of the core windings moves through field lines, a current will be generated.
There's no difference between moving windings or a moving magnetic field
The only requirement is that by either process, the windings move through (cross) field lines
I don't think that is the question. If I understand, the solenoid is being spun axially (say y) in a field always perpendicular (say z) to that axis. So the answer is no. Except there will be a small effect depending upon how you "close" the helix back to the beginning.

Likes greg_rack
hutchphd said:
I don't think that is the question. If I understand, the solenoid is being spun axially (say y) in a field always perpendicular (say z) to that axis. So the answer is no. Except there will be a small effect depending upon how you "close" the helix back to the beginning.
Reading his Q, he seemed to have an overall confusion on when a current is generated or isnt

I have given him the why or why not, he can then apply that to his situation and then determine if
field lines are being cut or not and he will have his answer for his example :wink:

Likes hutchphd
greg_rack said:
how can a current be generated in the solenoid?
Per Faraday's Law, you need the amount of magnetic flux piercing the plane of the coils in the solenoid to be changing.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/farlaw.html

1610485512935.png

Likes greg_rack
Thanks guys!

Likes hutchphd and berkeman

1. How is induced current created in a coil from a constant uniform magnetic field?

Induced current is created in a coil from a constant uniform magnetic field through the process of electromagnetic induction. When a magnetic field passes through a coil of wire, it creates an electric field which causes electrons to move and generate a current.

2. What factors affect the strength of the induced current in a coil?

The strength of the induced current in a coil is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the resistance of the wire in the coil.

3. How does the direction of the induced current in a coil relate to the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the induced current in a coil is determined by the direction of the magnetic field passing through the coil. The current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the original field, following Lenz's law.

4. Can a constant uniform magnetic field create an infinite induced current in a coil?

No, a constant uniform magnetic field cannot create an infinite induced current in a coil. The induced current will reach a maximum value determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the other factors mentioned above.

5. How is the concept of Faraday's law related to induced current in a coil from a constant uniform magnetic field?

Faraday's law states that the magnitude of the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit. In the case of a constant uniform magnetic field, the induced EMF is constant and therefore the induced current is also constant.