1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Emf in Rectangular Loop Problem

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "You push a rectangular loop of width .2m, length .8 m, and resistance R=200[itex]\Omega[/itex] into a magnetic field (out of page) Bout=.4 T and a speed v=.2 m/s. The long side of the rectangle is parallel to the x axis. What is the current flowing in the loop?"

2. Relevant equations

I think I should use:
    Emf=vBl
    Ohm's Law - [itex]\Delta[/itex]V=IR
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the equation emf=vBl, I did emf=(.02)(.8)(.4)=.0064.
    Then I said that emf=[itex]\Delta[/itex]V, so using Ohm's Law I did [itex]\frac{.0064}{200\Omega}[/itex] and got 3.2 x 10-5 A as my answer.

My problem is that the only problems we've worked are for circular loops and I'm not sure what length to use for l.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2011 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your equation is derived from Faraday's law. So apply Faraday's law explicitly:

[tex]emf = \oint \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s} = \frac{d\phi}{dt} = B\frac{dA}{dt}[/tex]

All you have to do is work out dA/dt, the rate of change of the area enclosed by the loop. If l is the distance along the x axis through which you have pushed the loop and w is the width of the loop what is dA/dt?

AM

4. Jun 16, 2011 #3
    How would I do this algebraically?

5. Jun 16, 2011 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since dA = wdx and w is constant, then dA/dt = w(dx/dt) = wv

So emf = Bwv

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook