1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Induced potential - when do you have to consider EM waves?

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    There's a long conductor carrying a 60 hz AC current. There's a second conductor parallel to the first current carrying conductor, and a hundred meters away from it.

I want to know what the electric potential induced by the changing B field is in the second conductor.

Theoretically I could use the biot-savart law to calculate B and then Faraday's law to calculate the induced electric potential from the changing B. However the alternating current also produces EM waves whose B field would induce an electric potential separate from that calculated by the biot-savart law as described above.

Is it justifiable to ignore the electric potential induced by the EM waves? Why/why not? Or am I just confused?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The usual rule of thumb is that you can use a "quasi static" approximation whenever the length scales are small compared to the wavelength of the EM waves. At 60 Hz the wavelengths are so much larger than 100 m that the quasi static approximation should be fine.

See this textbook, especially ch 8
    http://web.mit.edu/6.013_book/www/book.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted