Induced voltage in rectangular loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the magnitude of electromotive voltage induced in a rectangular loop with a moving side, using the flux through the loop. The solution involves the use of equations for magnetic flux, electromotive force, and displacement, as well as the application of Lenz's law to determine the direction of induced current. The final answer depends on the convention chosen for positive current flow in the loop.
beborche

Homework Statement

There's a magnetic field B in +[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]. A rectangular loop is lying in the xy-plane. Three sides are static, the 4th one is moving with velocity v along the direction of +[itex]\hat{y}[/itex], making the rectangular larger and larger. The length of this moving side of the rectangle is L.

Determine an expression for the magnitude of the electromotoric voltage induced in the loop using the flux through the loop.

Homework Equations

1. [itex]\Phi[/itex]m=[itex]\int[/itex]BdS
2. ε=-[itex]\frac{∂\Phi}{∂t}[/itex]
3. s = v*t (s = displacement, v = velocity, t=time)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using 1) and 3), with dS=dxdy[itex]\hat{z}[/itex] I get
[itex]\Phi[/itex]m=[itex]\int[/itex]BdS = B[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]dxdy (with limits x:0→L and y:0→y0+v*t) = ... = BL(y0+v*t) = BLy0 + BLvt

Then using 2)
ε=-[itex]\frac{∂\Phi}{∂t}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex](BLy0 + BLvt) = -Bvl

Everything here is correct, except the sign in the end. It should, apparently, not be negative. It should be positive, i.e. just Bvl, not -Bvl. I don't understand why. In the answers, the only thing that differs from my solution is their definition of dS. They define it as dS=dxdy(-[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]) instead of dS=dxdy[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]. I don't understand why they define it in (-[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]). Can anyone shed some light on this, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the problem says "Determine an expression for the magnitude of...", it seems that the answer should be positive by definition. To say whether it is positive or negative, you need to define a convention for which direction represents positive current flow in the loop. The easiest way to determine the sign in these problems is to use Lenz's law, which says that the induced current will oppose the motion. In this problem, that means that the induced current will flow in a clockwise direction when viewed from above. Is this a positive or negative induced voltage? It depends on your convention. This is probably why the problem only asked for the magnitude of the induced voltage.

Yes, magnitude is by definition positive.

Ok guys. Thanks for your replies. This was driving me nuts. From your answer, phyzguy, I take it there's no correct way of determining the direction of dS? Whatever floats your boat?

Oh yes, the polarity of the voltage is definitely determinable.

The algebra is well defined, based on Maxwell's equations and Stokes' theorem, but you don't need to worry about it if you follow Lenz's law: the induced mag field will always oppose a CHANGE in the existing flux. So, in your case, flux is in the +z direction and increasing as the moving side moves in the +y direction, so the induced field will be in the -z direction to oppose the buildup of flux within the loop. So, if you draw your figure with x along the right , y up and z out of the page, the current must flow clockwise to generate a B field in the -z direction. So the right side of the moving side is + and the left is -.

Physically, you can think of it as follows: force F on a free charge will be qv x B, In your case v = v j and B = B k so F = qv j x B k = qvB i so free charge is going to be forced to the right so that end will have a pile-up of + charge. (I use bold for vectors).

@rude man, thanks for your explanation.

Also thanks for pointing me in the direction of Lenz's law. I should've revisited that one before even posting the question here.

What is induced voltage in a rectangular loop?

Induced voltage in a rectangular loop refers to the creation of an electric potential difference, or voltage, in a rectangular loop of wire when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How is induced voltage calculated?

Induced voltage can be calculated using Faraday's law, which states that the magnitude of the induced voltage is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. It can also be calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the length of the loop and the rate at which the loop is moving through the field.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced voltage in a rectangular loop?

The magnitude of induced voltage in a rectangular loop is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, the rate at which the loop is moving through the field, and the angle at which the field intersects the loop.

How does the direction of induced voltage change in a rectangular loop?

The direction of induced voltage in a rectangular loop is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the induced voltage will create a current that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This means that the direction of induced voltage will be opposite to the direction of the change in magnetic flux.

What are some real-world applications of induced voltage in rectangular loops?

Induced voltage in rectangular loops has many practical applications, including power generation in generators and motors, data storage in magnetic hard drives, and wireless charging in devices such as smartphones and electric toothbrushes.