Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance and Capacitance per Temperature

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    I am studying the relationship between transmission speed in a Transmission Cable and the temperature of the cable. This speed is given by (as per discussion in the Feynman lectures)

[tex]v=\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/tex] where
    • [tex]L[/tex] is the inductance per unit length
    • [tex]C[/tex] is the capacitance per unit length

Does anyone know how the inductance and capacitance are expected to vary with temperature? The range examined in the experiment is approximately 20-50 degrees Celsius.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How much it will change basically depends on the properties of the dielectric (I am assuming you are refering to a coaxial cable).
    The change should be very small assuming one of the more common dielectric is used, e.g. PTFE etc. I doubt creep will be much of an issue in such a small temperature range.

Also, if the range in question includes room temperature you should be able to find this data in a datasheet, they typically list data from -50 to +80 degrees C or so, at least if the cable conforms to military specs (and most coaxes do)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?