Is Mathematical Induction Overwhelming for New College Students?

• Thread starter Chromium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
Honestly, I don't know.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mathematical induction and how it is being applied in a discrete mathematics course. The student is struggling with understanding the process and is seeking guidance and feedback from others. They also question if they may be in over their head with the course. The conversation also includes a discussion on a specific problem involving the statement P(n) and the steps needed to prove it.
Chromium
I have recently been introduced to mathematical induction in my discrete mathematics course. This is the first time I’ve ever seen induction, and so of course I was very confused. I am still confused, but not as much as before. I’m doing problems out of the book for practice, but I’m not sure if this is correct so far. I’m also not sure how to proceed with the inductive step. If someone could critique my work and guide me through the rest of the problem that would be great. On a side note, do you guys think that I might be in over my head with a discrete mathematics course? I’m fresh out of high school, and the last math class I took was pre-calculus. I wanted to get a head start on college, but now that I’m reaching induction, recursion, etc… I feel like I cannot keep up with the class. A lot of the other people in my class seem to be way more advanced as far as understand computer science and math, and so I begin to wonder whether or not I made a mistake. Thanks guys.

Let P(n) be the statement that 1^2 + 2^2 + … + n^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6

for the positive integer n.

a)What is the statement P(1)?

P(1) = 1(1+1) (2(1)+1)/6 = 1(2)(3)/6 = 6/6 = 1

b)Show that P(1) is true, completing the basis step of the proof

1^2 = 1, and since the above equation results in 1. Therefore, P(1) is true. c)What is the inductive hypothesis?

(A) : “1^2 + 2^2 + … + k^2 = k(k+1)(2k+1)/6” where k is any positive integer.

(B): “1^2 + 2^2 +…+ k^2 + (k+1)^2 = (k+1)(k+1) (2 (k+1) +1)/6”

Assuming A, we will prove B. d)What do you need to prove in the inductive step?

Assuming that A is true, you need to prove B. e) Complete the inductive step

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is a small omission in your B step. Each "k" in the statement A needs to be replaced with "k+1" in the inductive B step. On the right hand side, you have (k+1)(k+1)(... instead of (k+1)(k+1+1)(...

BTW, I'm going to move this question to a more math-oriented forum here in the Homework Help forums.

Last edited:
Once you followed berkeman's advice then the difference of the left hand sides of A and B is (k+1)^2. What is the difference of the right hand sides? What do you conclude?

is the difference: 3k^3 + k^2 + 7k + 3 ?
I just took both right hand sides, tried to simplify and then subtract.
Whether or not I'm right, I still don't see how to prove it.

You did the algebra wrong. How could you get a k^3 term? Expand both products.

Dick said:
Once you followed berkeman's advice then the difference of the left hand sides of A and B is (k+1)^2. What is the difference of the right hand sides? What do you conclude?

Well said, Dick. Chromium, did you understand what Dick is illustrating here for you?

Chromium, did you understand what Dick is illustrating here for you?

To be honest, no. I understood the difference between the left sides, but not the right side.

Chromium said:
To be honest, no. I understood the difference between the left sides, but not the right side.

Okay, to help clear it up, please re-write the A and B lines (making the correction to the B line that I pointed out) for us. Now, re-write the B line isolating the term that Dick mentioned on the lefthand side. Now the LHS of the B line looks like the A line's LHS, but with that extra term, right?

Now look at the RHS of the B line. Re-write it as the RHS of the A line, and isolate whatever terms you need to pull out to make the rest match the A line. What did you end up pulling out?

What is the induction problem?

The induction problem refers to the philosophical question of how we can justify making generalizations or predictions based on limited observations or past experiences.

Why is the induction problem important?

The induction problem is important because it challenges our ability to make reliable and accurate predictions about the future based on past observations. It also raises questions about the validity of scientific methods and the nature of knowledge itself.

What are some proposed solutions to the induction problem?

Some proposed solutions to the induction problem include the use of Bayesian inference, which assigns probabilities to hypotheses based on prior knowledge and new evidence, and Popper's falsification principle, which states that scientific knowledge should be based on the ability to be disproven.

How does the induction problem relate to scientific theories?

The induction problem is closely related to scientific theories, as theories often involve making generalizations and predictions based on limited observations. The ability to justify these generalizations and predictions is crucial for the validity and reliability of scientific theories.

Can the induction problem ever be fully solved?

The induction problem is an ongoing philosophical debate and there is no definitive solution at this time. However, advancements in statistics and other fields continue to provide new insights and potential solutions to this problem.