Prove P(n,m): m+n=n+m for Natural Numbers

In summary, the problem is asking to prove that for all natural numbers m and n, m+n = n+m. This is done through induction, starting with the base case P(0,0) and then showing P(n,0) and P(n,m). The inductive step involves adding 2 to both sides of the equation and then proving the statement for P(n+1,0) and P(0,m+1).
sli10126

Homework Statement

Prove that P(n,m) m+n = n+m for all m,n in natural numbers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I prove by induction.

Base case: P(0,0) = 0+0 = 0+0.
Inductive step: Let n be an arbitrary natural number. Suppose m+n =n+m. Adding 2 to both sides of the equation gives us m+n+2 = n+m+2.(end of proof)

My question is if this is sufficient enough as a proof. (The instructor hinted us to show P(0,0) first. Then show P(n,0) and then proceed to P(n,m). The hint confuses me.

Physics news on Phys.org

sli10126 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that P(n,m) m+n = n+m for all m,n in natural numbers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I prove by induction.

Base case: P(0,0) = 0+0 = 0+0.
Inductive step: Let n be an arbitrary natural number. Suppose m+n =n+m. Adding 2 to both sides of the equation gives us m+n+2 = n+m+2.(end of proof)

My question is if this is sufficient enough as a proof. (The instructor hinted us to show P(0,0) first. Then show P(n,0) and then proceed to P(n,m). The hint confuses me.
You're OK with your base case, but you need to follow your instructor's suggestion.
Prove by induction on n that n + 0 = 0 + n; i.e., that the statement is true for P(n, 0).
Next, prove by induction on m that n + m = m + n.

Would I need to show P(n+1,0) and P(0,m+1) or would P(n,0) and P(m) be sufficient? Because I know that for the inductive step we prove if P(n) then P(n+1).

FAQ: Prove P(n,m): m+n=n+m for Natural Numbers

1. What does the statement "Prove P(n,m): m+n=n+m for Natural Numbers" mean?

The statement is a mathematical proposition that requires proof. It is stating that for any two natural numbers, n and m, the sum of n and m is equal to the sum of m and n.

2. How do you prove a statement like "Prove P(n,m): m+n=n+m for Natural Numbers"?

To prove this statement, we must use mathematical induction. This involves showing that the statement is true for the base case, which is usually when n=1 or m=1. Then, we assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary value of n and use that assumption to prove that it is also true for n+1. This process is repeated until we can show that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. Why is it important to prove statements like "Prove P(n,m): m+n=n+m for Natural Numbers"?

Proving mathematical statements is important because it allows us to establish the truth or validity of a statement. In this case, proving that m+n=n+m for natural numbers ensures that the commutative property of addition holds true for all natural numbers. This is a fundamental property in mathematics that is used in various fields such as algebra and number theory.

4. Can you give an example to illustrate the statement "Prove P(n,m): m+n=n+m for Natural Numbers"?

Yes, for example, let n=3 and m=5. Then, m+n=5+3=8 and n+m=3+5=8. Since both expressions are equal, we can say that the statement is true for n=3 and m=5. This is just one example, but we need to show that the statement is true for all possible values of n and m to prove it.

5. Is there a difference between proving a statement for natural numbers and for all real numbers?

Yes, there is a difference. Proving a statement for natural numbers, also known as a proof by induction, involves showing that the statement is true for a specific set of numbers (in this case, natural numbers). However, proving a statement for all real numbers requires a different approach, such as using algebraic manipulations or logical reasoning. The process may also vary depending on the type of statement being proved.

Back