Inductor and Transformer Design Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a crib sheet for engineering concepts and the possible use of Gaussian units in the sheet. The conversation also touches on converting files to PDF, counting turns in a transformer, and the H field in a gapped core. The participants also discuss the possibility of creating a forum for sharing crib sheets and the use of Maxwell's equations in calculating magnetic fields.
Phrak
I thought it would be a good idea to write this down, all in one place, finally.
Any errors, or impovements needed? Should it be in gaussian units?

Attachments

• Transformer Equations.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 463
Engineering news on Phys.org
Phrak said:
I thought it would be a good idea to write this down, all in one place, finally.

A .pdf would be better to thwart off any virus suspicions!

CS

Phrak said:

What does this mean?

N – number of turns, Fingers

What's a Fingers? I don't think I've ever see units on the number of turns.

Overall looks good, very similar to my transformer/inductor crib sheet. It could use some diagrams showing flux and such, and should include the impedance transformation characteristic (goes by turns squared) of a transformer.

Do you do crib sheets for other subjects/topics as well? My crib sheet binder gets a lot of use.

Last edited:
I would be very interested in seeing other engineer's crib sheets. My notebook is pretty bare (non-existent).

Corneo said:
I would be very interested in seeing other engineer's crib sheets. My notebook is pretty bare (non-existent).

Interesting idea! Maybe scan our crib sheets and share them to generate ideas. I like that.

Let me work on that some... Cool idea. Maybe a Crib Sheets sub-forum here at the PF...

stewartcs said:
A .pdf would be better to thwart off any virus suspicions!
CS

I was curious about that. How do you convert .doc to .pdf?

berkeman said:
What does this mean?

Do you mean the Gaussian units? There are changes in some equations by a a couple factors.

I haven't done this in a while, maybe it was

[tex]v=N \frac{d\Phi}{dI}[/tex]
that becomes
[tex]v=N \frac{d\Phi}{dI} \cdot 10^{-8}[/tex]
in going from SI (kilogram-meter-seconds) to Gaussian units (essencially cgs. centimeter-gram-seconds)

I should check with some core manufactures to see what the preferred units are.

What's a Fingers? I don't think I've ever see units on the number of turns.

Overall looks good, very similar to my transformer/inductor crib sheet. It could use some diagrams showing flux and such, and should include the impedance transformation characteristic (goes by turns squared) of a transformer.

Do you do crib sheets for other subjects/topics as well? My crib sheet binder gets a lot of use.

I have notes buried within job folders, and never really concatenated them.
You know. One finger, two fingers, three fingers... That's how you count turns, right?
:smile:

I think PF crib notes would be a very good idea. Would it be better to associate with each forum folder, or all in one place--under mirrored subfolders, maybe?

Oh, by the way, the Turns squared increase in inductance is in there--the last equation. So I'll label it as such.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
I was curious about that. How do you convert .doc to .pdf?

You can download a free conversion utility from PrimoPDF.com

It installs like a printer driver, so it shows up when you do "Print" from a software package (like Word or Excel) -- you choose to print to PrimoPDF instead of a printer, and it "prints" to a PDF file.

Thanks, berkeman. I got it loaded.

Bobbin cores and rod cores are difficult to solve, but a gapped core is not too difficult if you can guestimate the magnetic field fringent around the gap. But is the H field the same around the magnetic circuit given constant area. I'd been assuming it is in previous designs, with the results as expected, but is it true?

Phrak said:
Thanks, berkeman. I got it loaded.

Bobbin cores and rod cores are difficult to solve, but a gapped core is not too difficult if you can guestimate the magnetic field fringent around the gap. But is the H field the same around the magnetic circuit given constant area. I'd been assuming it is in previous designs, with the results as expected, but is it true?

I believe so as well, as long as the area is constant.

I got this out of Wikipedia (Maxwell's Equations),

[tex]\oint_{\partial S}B \cdot dl = \mu_0 I_S [/tex]

in the absense of electric fields, where

[tex]B=H\mu[/tex]

I'll have to mull it over a little just to be sure it fits...

Last edited:

1. What is an inductor and how does it work?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire, often wound around a core material, and is used to control the flow of electrical current in a circuit. When current flows through the coil, a magnetic field is created, which resists changes in current flow and stores energy.

2. How are inductors and transformers related?

Inductors and transformers are both electromagnetic devices, meaning they use magnetic fields to function. A transformer is essentially two inductors placed in close proximity to each other. They are connected by a shared magnetic field, which allows them to transfer energy from one circuit to another without physical contact.

3. What are the key equations used in inductor and transformer design?

The most important equations in inductor and transformer design are Ohm's Law, which relates voltage, current, and resistance; Faraday's Law, which describes how a changing magnetic field induces an electric current; and Lenz's Law, which explains the direction of the induced current. Other important equations include the inductance formula, which calculates the amount of energy stored in an inductor, and the transformer equation, which relates the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils to the voltage and current in each.

4. How do you choose the right materials for inductor and transformer design?

The choice of materials for inductors and transformers depends on several factors, including the desired inductance, frequency of operation, and power requirements. Some common materials used in these components include copper wire, iron cores, and ferrite cores. The properties of these materials, such as their conductivity and magnetic permeability, play a crucial role in determining the performance of the inductor or transformer.

5. What are some common applications of inductors and transformers?

Inductors and transformers have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are often used in power supplies, electronic filters, and motors to control and regulate the flow of electricity. They are also commonly found in telecommunications equipment, such as inductors used in radio frequency filters and transformers used in telephone lines. Additionally, inductors and transformers are essential components in many electronic devices, such as computers, TVs, and mobile phones.