Integral Evaluation: Jumping from 0 to ∞

• Thread starter dionysian
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to understand a proof on Wolfram that \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{e}^{x^{-2}} dx = \sqrt{\pi}. They are confused about a specific step involving an integral from 0 to infinity and are wondering if there is an easier way to evaluate it. Another person suggests using a substitution, u = r2, to solve the integral.
dionysian
This is not a homework question but I am trying to follow the proof on wolfram that [tex] \int_{-\infty }^{ \infty }{e}^{{x}^{-2}} dx = \sqrt{\pi} [/tex] and I am haveing trouble at one point where they state [tex] \int_{0 }^{ \infty }r{e}^{{r}^{-2}} dr = \left[- \frac{ 1}{ 2} {e }^{ {-r }^{2 } } \right ] \infty \rightarrow 0 [/tex].

How the hell do they make this jump? The only way i would know to evaluate this integral is to use integration by parts and this would eventually leave you with another integral that is itself the gaussian. I am sure there is an easy were than parts. Does anyone have any insight here?

btw the[tex] \infty \rightarrow 0 [/tex] is suppose to mean the integral is evaluated from 0 to infinity but i don't know how to do this proper in latex.

Physics news on Phys.org
dionysian said:
… The only way i would know to evaluate this integral is to use integration by parts and this would eventually leave you with another integral that is itself the gaussian. I am sure there is an easy were than parts …

Hi dionysian! :smile:

Use a substitution: u = r2. :wink:

Thanks... I am a little rusty...

1. What is integral evaluation?

Integral evaluation is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve or between two curves. It involves breaking down a complex shape into smaller, simpler shapes and using mathematical formulas to calculate their areas. The sum of these areas gives the integral value.

2. How does integral evaluation work?

Integral evaluation involves using mathematical techniques such as the Riemann sum, trapezoidal rule, or Simpson's rule to approximate the area under a curve. These techniques involve dividing the shape into smaller parts and calculating their areas, which are then added together to get an approximate value of the integral.

3. What is the purpose of integral evaluation?

Integral evaluation is used in many areas of science and engineering to solve real-world problems that involve finding the area under a curve. It is particularly useful in physics, economics, and statistics, where it is used to calculate quantities such as work, profit, and probability, respectively.

4. What are the different types of integrals?

The two main types of integrals are definite and indefinite integrals. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, whereas an indefinite integral has no limits and gives a function as the result. Other types include improper integrals, multiple integrals, and line integrals, which are used in more advanced applications.

5. What are some common applications of integral evaluation?

Integral evaluation has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some common applications include calculating work and energy in physics problems, finding the area under a demand curve in economics, and determining probabilities in statistics. It is also used in computer science and image processing to analyze and manipulate data.