Inertia matrix of a homogeneous cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 6K views
influx
Messages
162
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


[/B]
3d45da.png


Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution


What I am confused about is where they got the (1/4)mR^2 + (1/12)ml^2 and (1/2)mR^2 from? I am guessing that these came from the integral of y'^2 + z'^2 and x'^2 +y'^2 but I don't understand how this happened exactly? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try actually computing the integrals? What did youget? Please show your work.
 
Orodruin said:
Did you try actually computing the integrals? What did youget? Please show your work.

What are y'^2 and z'^2? I don't know what to sub in for these (not sure what they represent?) so can't do the integral until I know them.
 
Orodruin said:
They are coordinates as shown in the figure.
I understand that but I mean how would one integrate those terms with respect to m? They aren't constants?
 
Orodruin said:
They depend on where in the body you are.
Sorry for the late reply. I am still confused. I just want to know how they (mathematically) got from the left hand side to the right. I don't understand how integrating the left hand side yields the right hand side.
 
Use ##dm = \rho \, dx'dy'## and integrate over ##x'## and ##y'## with the appropriate boundaries. The value of ##\rho## in terms of the total mass ##m## can be inferred by computing the volume ##V## of the body and using ##\rho V = m##.