1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia matrix of a homogeneous cylinder

1. Nov 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3d45da.png

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I am confused about is where they got the (1/4)mR^2 + (1/12)ml^2 and (1/2)mR^2 from? I am guessing that these came from the integral of y'^2 + z'^2 and x'^2 +y'^2 but I don't understand how this happened exactly? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you try actually computing the integrals? What did youget? Please show your work.

4. Nov 8, 2016 #3
    What are y'^2 and z'^2? I don't know what to sub in for these (not sure what they represent?) so can't do the integral until I know them.

5. Nov 8, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are coordinates as shown in the figure.

6. Nov 8, 2016 #5
    I understand that but I mean how would one integrate those terms with respect to m? They aren't constants?

7. Nov 8, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They depend on where in the body you are.

8. Nov 23, 2016 #7
    Sorry for the late reply. I am still confused. I just want to know how they (mathematically) got from the left hand side to the right. I don't understand how integrating the left hand side yields the right hand side.

9. Nov 23, 2016 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use ##dm = \rho \, dx'dy'## and integrate over ##x'## and ##y'## with the appropriate boundaries. The value of ##\rho## in terms of the total mass ##m## can be inferred by computing the volume ##V## of the body and using ##\rho V = m##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted