Inertial Charges: Magnetic Forces Relative?

In summary, a charge at constant speed generates a magnetic field, and on a plane, an observer would see an electric field while a person on the ground would see both an electric and magnetic field. This phenomenon is an example of relative electromagnetism and can be better understood by considering it from the perspective of the observer rather than the charge. Understanding these principles can lead to a greater appreciation and understanding of the world around us.
Charlie G
I was wondering whether or not a charge must be accelerating to produce a magnetic field. If the charge is moving at a constant speed does it create a magnetic field? I f I took a van de graff generator onto an airplane moving at a constant rate, could I measure a magnetic force? Or are magnetic forces relative? Do I in the plane see an electric force while a person on the ground sees a magnetic?

Physics news on Phys.org
A charge at constant speed generates a magnetic field.

In your plane you would see an electric field and the people on the ground would see both an electric and a magnetic field.

Charlie G said:
I was wondering whether or not a charge must be accelerating to produce a magnetic field. If the charge is moving at a constant speed does it create a magnetic field? I f I took a van de graff generator onto an airplane moving at a constant rate, could I measure a magnetic force? Or are magnetic forces relative? Do I in the plane see an electric force while a person on the ground sees a magnetic?

Yeah. For example, I you are on a plane holding a point charge on your lap, you only see an electrostatic field. But, a person on the ground sees an electric and a magnetic field; the magnitude of the magnetic field is about v/c times the magnitude of the electric field (in gaussian units where electric and magnetic field have same units) and roughly "curls around" the charge a la the right-hand-rule.

thx for the replies, of all the relative things, time, space and so on, this relative electromagnetsim seems to me the strangest.

Charlie G said:
thx for the replies, of all the relative things, time, space and so on, this relative electromagnetsim seems to me the strangest.

It is pretty interesting, isn't it? This sort of thing is what got me hooked on physics in the first place. I.e., the impressive general principles (like relativity) and the neat effects that look almost magical (like moving magnets inducing currents, and so on). Cheers.

Welcome to PF!

Hi CharlieG! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Charlie G said:

Perhaps it makes more sense if you look at it from the point of view of the observer, rather than of the charge.

In other words, don't say "a stationary charge produces a pure electic field",

but "a charge produces an electromagnetic field which an observer stationary relative to the charge sees as a pure electic field" :wink:

oh … and happy new year! :smile:

Yea, I've really been trying to get my head around physics because for me it seems that when you understand something you appreciate a whole lot more. Ever since reading my first relativity book I can't help but imagine everything I see from another perspective. I think the best part is how when you learn the simple the simple principles behind small things, all the bigger ones fall right into place.

1. What are inertial charges?

Inertial charges refer to a concept in physics where particles possess a property called inertia, which is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion.

2. How are inertial charges related to magnetic forces?

Inertial charges are related to magnetic forces in that they are both properties of particles. Magnetic forces arise from the interactions between particles with magnetic charges, while inertial charges determine how particles will respond to these interactions.

3. What is the role of relative motion in inertial charges and magnetic forces?

Relative motion plays a crucial role in inertial charges and magnetic forces. The strength and direction of magnetic forces between two particles depend on their relative motion, as well as the inertial charges of the particles involved.

4. Can inertial charges and magnetic forces be measured?

Inertial charges and magnetic forces can be indirectly measured through various experiments and calculations. However, directly measuring these properties is challenging due to their small scale and the complexity of the underlying physical processes.

5. How do inertial charges and magnetic forces impact everyday life?

Inertial charges and magnetic forces play a significant role in many everyday phenomena, such as electricity, magnetism, and the operation of electronic devices. Understanding these properties allows us to harness their power and develop technologies that improve our daily lives.