Infinite being removable singularity

In summary: Look at what's happening for large z in that function. You've got a z^3 in the numerator and z^4 in the denominator. So for a large circle |z|=R the integrand is of the order 1/R and you are integrating over a circle of radius R. It's not going to zero fast enough to force the integral to vanish as R->inf. It does have a 'residue at infinity'. Your book is correct. I was oversimplifying. How about the second...In summary, the concept of removable singularity in relation to infinity can be confusing, especially in complex analysis. The infinite is considered an isolated singularity, but it can also be a regular point depending on the function. In
karlzr

Homework Statement

I am confused about the concept of removable singularity, when it comes to the infinite. Here are two examples in which infinite is claimed to be the removable singularity:
1, [itex]f(z)=\frac{1+z^4}{z(1+z^2)^3}[/itex];
2, [itex]f(z)=sin\frac{1}{z-1}[/itex]
Actually, I don't even know why the infinite should be isolated singularity in the first place. Please explain in detail on the above examples, thanks!

Homework Equations

complex analysis, singularity

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to write z in terms of 1/t, but failed to get the expected result.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you tried. What was the 'expected result' you were looking for? Writing them as a function of 1/t you should be able to simplify to a function that's analytic at t=0. What's the problem?

Dick said:
Show what you tried. What was the 'expected result' you were looking for? Writing them as a function of 1/t you should be able to simplify to a function that's analytic at t=0. What's the problem?

To the first function [itex]f(z)=\frac{1+z^4}{z(1+z^2)^3}[/itex]:
assume t=1/z, we can find:
[tex]f(1/t)=\frac{t^3(1+t^4)}{(1+t^2)^3}[/tex], which is regular at t=0. So I suppose f(z) should be regular at infinity, other than an isolated singularity.

karlzr said:
To the first function [itex]f(z)=\frac{1+z^4}{z(1+z^2)^3}[/itex]:
assume t=1/z, we can find:
[tex]f(1/t)=\frac{t^3(1+t^4)}{(1+t^2)^3}[/tex], which is regular at t=0. So I suppose f(z) should be regular at infinity, other than an isolated singularity.

You've got it. f(z) is formally undefined at z=infinity but it has a perfectly well defined limit there. Just like f(1/t) is regular at t=0.

Dick said:
You've got it. f(z) is formally undefined at z=infinity but it has a perfectly well defined limit there. Just like f(1/t) is regular at t=0.

Does this mean that the infinity is always a singularity? If not, please give me an couterexample, thanks a lot!

karlzr said:
Does this mean that the infinity is always a singularity? If not, please give me an couterexample, thanks a lot!

I would say so. You really can't substitute 'infinity' into functions. You can only take the limit as z->infinity. If you are dealing with some notion of 'extended' complex numbers like the Riemann sphere where you add a point at infinity, you might quibble about it. But I don't think that should worry you.

Dick said:
I would say so. You really can't substitute 'infinity' into functions. You can only take the limit as z->infinity. If you are dealing with some notion of 'extended' complex numbers like the Riemann sphere where you add a point at infinity, you might quibble about it. But I don't think that should worry you.

Thanks! My doubt on this issue has been cleared. Another problem:
consider the following three integrals:
[tex]I_1=\oint_{|z|=\pi}dz\frac{z+2}{(4z^2+1)(z-4)^2}[/tex]
[tex]I_2=\oint_{|z|=\pi}dz\frac{z^2+2z}{(4z^2+1)(z-2)^2}[/tex]
[tex]I_3=\oint_{|z|=\pi}dz\frac{z^3+2z^2}{(4z^2+1)(z-1)^2}[/tex]
One of the these integrals vanishes. Explain which one and why, without calculating any residues.

karlzr said:
Thanks! My doubt on this issue has been cleared. Another problem:
consider the following three integrals:
[tex]I_1=\oint_{|z|=\pi}dz\frac{z+2}{(4z^2+1)(z-4)^2}[/tex]
[tex]I_2=\oint_{|z|=\pi}dz\frac{z^2+2z}{(4z^2+1)(z-2)^2}[/tex]
[tex]I_3=\oint_{|z|=\pi}dz\frac{z^3+2z^2}{(4z^2+1)(z-1)^2}[/tex]
One of the these integrals vanishes. Explain which one and why, without calculating any residues.

Now that you are comfortable with the idea of a function being regular at infinity, that should be a big clue. What happens if the function f(z) has all of its poles inside of the circle |z|=1 and is regular at infinity and you integrate around the circle? Think about the transformation z->1/z.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Now that you are comfortable with the idea of a function being regular at infinity, that should be a big clue. What happens if the function f(z) has all of its poles inside of the circle |z|=1 and is regular at infinity and you integrate around the circle? Think about the transformation z->1/z.

I refer to my math book and there is a statement: "even if the infinity is not a singularity of f(z) at all, we cannot conclude [itex]res(∞)=0[/itex], as long as the [itex]C_{-1}[/itex]in the expansion doesn't vanish".
At first, I think the third integral should vanish, since the residue at infinity vanishes and all three singularities lie within the contour. After some calculation, I am confused.
[tex]I_3=\oint_{|z|=\pi}\frac{z^3+3z^2}{(2z+i)(2z-i)(z-1)^2}[/tex].
I do the calculation with Mathematica and get the residues:
[itex]res(i/2)=-19/100+2i/25; res(-i/2))=-19/100-2i/25; res(1)=11/25[/itex]
the sum does not vanish.
I expand the integrand and the coefficient [itex]C_{-1}[/itex] doesn't vanish.
As a matter of fact, the sum of the four residues is not zero.

karlzr said:
I refer to my math book and there is a statement: "even if the infinity is not a singularity of f(z) at all, we cannot conclude [itex]res(∞)=0[/itex], as long as the [itex]C_{-1}[/itex]in the expansion doesn't vanish".
At first, I think the third integral should vanish, since the residue at infinity vanishes and all three singularities lie within the contour. After some calculation, I am confused.
[tex]I_3=\oint_{|z|=\pi}\frac{z^3+3z^2}{(2z+i)(2z-i)(z-1)^2}[/tex].
I do the calculation with Mathematica and get the residues:
[itex]res(i/2)=-19/100+2i/25; res(-i/2))=-19/100-2i/25; res(1)=11/25[/itex]
the sum does not vanish.
I expand the integrand and the coefficient [itex]C_{-1}[/itex] doesn't vanish.
As a matter of fact, the sum of the four residues is not zero.

Look at what's happening for large z in that function. You've got a z^3 in the numerator and z^4 in the denominator. So for a large circle |z|=R the integrand is of the order 1/R and you are integrating over a circle of radius R. It's not going to zero fast enough to force the integral to vanish as R->inf. It does have a 'residue at infinity'. Your book is correct. I was oversimplifying. How about the second one?

Last edited:

What is an "Infinite being removable singularity"?

An "Infinite being removable singularity" refers to a theoretical concept in physics where an infinitely dense and infinitely small point in space, known as a singularity, can be removed or resolved through some unknown process.

How is an "Infinite being removable singularity" different from a regular singularity?

An "Infinite being removable singularity" is different from a regular singularity because it suggests that the singularity can somehow be removed or resolved. Regular singularities, such as black holes, are believed to be permanent and indestructible.

What is the significance of an "Infinite being removable singularity" in physics?

The concept of an "Infinite being removable singularity" has significant implications in the field of physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and the search for a theory of everything. It challenges our current understanding of singularities and the laws of physics that govern them.

Has an "Infinite being removable singularity" ever been observed or proven to exist?

No, an "Infinite being removable singularity" has not been observed or proven to exist. It remains a theoretical concept that is still being studied and debated by scientists.

What are some proposed explanations for how an "Infinite being removable singularity" could exist?

Some proposed explanations for how an "Infinite being removable singularity" could exist include the idea of a higher-dimensional universe or the existence of a fundamental force or particle that can resolve singularities. However, these are still just theories and have not been proven.