1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite dimensions and matrices

1. Jul 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find 2 more orthonormal polynomials on the interval [-2,1] up to degree 2 given that the first polynomial p(x) = 1/√3. ( Note: Take the highest coefficient to be positive and enter your answer as a decimal.)

2. Relevant equations

This is a web assign equation so the answer format is in something like this, where I enter in the solutions:

degree 1 = (something)x + something
    degree 2 = (something)x^2+(something)x+something

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to understand this problem here. What exactly does the 1 over square root three give us? How does it help?

I was told by my professor that to do this use the dot product of two functions f and g then find integral of f(x)g(x)dx over the boundary conditions. I'm not exactly sure what this means but I followed some examples from the homeworks, as we hadn't really learned this in lecture yet.

So I make up two equations:

f(x) = a + bx
    g(x) = x(a+bx)

(1) I integrate both equations on the given boundaries: Int[-2,1] (a + bx) dx= 3a - (3/2)b

(2) INT [-2,1]x(a+bx) dx = -(3/2)a + 3b

After this step I have NO IDEA what to do. :cry: I have a system of two equations. I can make a matrix
    | 3 -(3/2) |
    |-(3/2) 3 |

But how does this help me? If anyone could give me guidance, please do. Thank you very much

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Label the three polynomials as p0(x), p1(x) and p2(x) of respective degrees 0, 1 and 2. You are told that the interval is [-2,1] and that p0(x) = 1/sqrt(3), hence int_{x=-2..1} p0(x)^2 dx = 1. That seems to be saying that the polynomials should also be "orthonormal", that is, have "squared norm" = 1. Anyway, you need int_{x=-2..1} p0(x)*p1(x) dx = 0 (p0 orthogonal to p1) and int_{x=-2..1} p1(x)^2 dx = 1 norm condition), so you can determine both constants a and b in the formula p1(x) = a + b*x. Now, with p2(x) = e + f*x +g*x^2, you can determine e, f and g from the conditions int_{x=-2..1} p0(x)*p2(x) dx = 0, int_{x=-2..1} p1(x)*p2(x) dx = 0 and int_{x=-2..1} p2(x)^2 dx = 1. You will have three simple linear equations in the three unknowns e,f and g.

RGV

4. Jul 31, 2011 #3
    Thank for for your response. I have a question though, I was able to solve the first degree equation of a + bx, but I can't seem to get the second one. So you set the first two equations p0p2 and p1p2 to zero correct?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  5. Jul 31, 2011 #4
    Never mind I got it, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook