Finding Smallest N for Infinite Sequence: (2n)^(1/n) < 0.01

In summary, the conversation is about finding the smallest value of n for the equation abs((2n)^(1/n) - 1) < 0.01. The participants discuss different methods for finding this value, including trial and error and using logarithms. Eventually, they determine that the value of n is approximately 733.
aceetobee
I want to find the smallest value of N (n > N) such that the following is true:

abs((2n)^(1/n) - 1) < 0.01

So basically, I'm looking for the term of the sequence (2n)^(1/n) which is less than 0.01 from the limit of the sequence... by trial and error, I found it to be 734.

But I'm looking ofr a theoretical solution. Any help as to what I'm missing here?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the sequence approaches the limit from above, so you can just write (2n)1/n<1.01. From here, I would take the log of both sides. You probably won't be able to solve for the minimum value of N exactly without a calculator, but you should be able to use some estimates to get an upper bound that isn't too bad.

So you're looking for the value n so :

[tex] |(2n)^{1/n}-1|<0.01 [/tex] then i must be satisfied that.

[tex] (2n)^{1/n}<1.01 [/tex] taking log at both sides you have:

[tex] \frac{log2}{n^2 }+\frac{logn}{n^2 }<log(1.01)=0.00995033 [/tex]

for big n n>100 we can ignore the first term and have:

[tex] log(n) < n^2(0.00995033) [/tex] trying several n we have that n=60

Hmmm... (2*60)^(1/60) - 1 is approx 0.08

I think 733 is the answer, but I still think there must be another way besides trial and error / using the calculator

Actually, the easiest way to do it by hand is probably to raise both sides to the nth power and then expand the RHS:

[tex](2n)^{1/n}<1.01[/tex]

[tex]2n<(1.01)^n=(1+\frac{1}{100})^n=1+n \cdot \frac{1}{100}+\frac{n(n-1)}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{100^2}+...[/tex]

Now, if you replace the RHS by something that is smaller than it, and find an n such that the LHS is smaller than this new RHS, you know the LHS will also be smaller than the original RHS at this n. One way to do this is to truncate the series after the third term:

[tex]2n<1+n \cdot \frac{1}{100}+\frac{n(n-1)}{2}\cdot \frac{1}{100^2}\leq(1.01)^n[/tex]

Now solve for the smallest n that satisfies this first inequality and you'll get an upper bound on the smallest n for the original inequality. If you wanted to get better accuracy you could add more terms, but this would become harder to solve.

1. What is the significance of finding the smallest N for an infinite sequence?

Finding the smallest N for an infinite sequence allows us to determine the point at which the terms in the sequence become smaller than a given threshold value. This helps us understand the behavior of the sequence and its convergence.

2. How is the value of N calculated for the given sequence?

The value of N can be calculated by taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the inequality (2n)^(1/n) < 0.01 and rearranging the equation to solve for N.

3. Can this method be applied to other types of infinite sequences?

Yes, this method can be applied to other types of infinite sequences that follow a similar pattern, where the terms become smaller as n increases.

4. Is there a faster or more efficient way to find the smallest N?

There may be other methods to find the smallest N for a given infinite sequence, but the method of taking the natural logarithm and rearranging the equation is a commonly used and efficient approach.

5. How can this concept of finding the smallest N be applied in real-world scenarios?

This concept can be applied in various fields of science and engineering, such as in the study of population growth, financial modeling, and analysis of data trends. It can also be used in computer science and programming to optimize algorithms and improve efficiency.