Infinite series of trigonometric terms

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find a series with specific initial terms that has a compact way to write down its terms and an exact and compact way to write down its limit. The person is looking for mathematical identities and is interested in the limit of the series as it goes to infinity.
DeathbyGreen
I'm trying to make an approximation to a series I'm generating; the series is constructed as follows:
Term 1:
[itex]
\left[\frac{cos(x/2)}{cos(y/2)}\right]
[/itex]

Term 2:
[itex]
\left[\frac{cos(x/2)}{cos(y/2)}-\frac{sin(x/2)}{sin(y/2)}\right]
[/itex]

I'm not sure yet if the series repeats itself or forms a pattern; but if it continues to add terms proportional to sine and cosine half angle fractions, are there any series I could use to express an infinite number of these types of terms as an exact form? I've looked at a Fourier series but I'm not sure it would work. Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is an infinite set of series that (a) have these two initial terms, (b) have a relatively compact way to write down their terms and (c) have an exact and compact way to write down their limit. I'm not sure if you ask for (b) or (c), but both together are possible as well.

What is your actual problem that you want to solve?

Likes DeathbyGreen
Thanks for the quick reply! The problem I'm trying to solve is complicated, but I'm just looking for mathematical identities. Which set of series are you referring to? I'm looking for (c), the limit as the series goes to infinity, but a nice compact way to write down the terms (b) would be nice too!

You don't constrain your series at all. All following terms could be zero. That makes it trivial to evaluate the limit.

1. What is an infinite series of trigonometric terms?

An infinite series of trigonometric terms is a sum of an infinite number of terms where each term contains a trigonometric function, such as sine, cosine, or tangent, and a variable, usually a multiple of an angle. This type of series is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to model periodic phenomena.

2. How is an infinite series of trigonometric terms calculated?

An infinite series of trigonometric terms is calculated by adding up each individual term in the series. The terms usually follow a specific pattern, and can be calculated using a formula or by using mathematical tools such as the Taylor series. The more terms that are added, the more accurate the approximation of the series becomes.

3. What are some real-life applications of infinite series of trigonometric terms?

Infinite series of trigonometric terms are used to model and analyze periodic phenomena in various fields, such as electrical engineering, signal processing, and physics. Some examples include analyzing the behavior of electrical currents in circuits, predicting the behavior of waves in physics, and modeling sound and light waves.

4. Can an infinite series of trigonometric terms have a finite sum?

Yes, an infinite series of trigonometric terms can have a finite sum if the terms in the series follow a specific pattern and the series converges. This means that as more terms are added, the sum approaches a specific value. However, not all infinite series of trigonometric terms have a finite sum. Some may diverge or oscillate between different values.

5. What are some common techniques for evaluating infinite series of trigonometric terms?

Some common techniques for evaluating infinite series of trigonometric terms include using mathematical tools such as the Taylor series, the Fourier series, or the Maclaurin series. These techniques involve finding a mathematical expression that represents the series and using mathematical operations to simplify the series and calculate its sum. Additionally, there are various convergence tests that can be used to determine if a series is convergent or divergent.