1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Series with log natural Question

1. Apr 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ʃ (-1)^(k+1) / kln(k)
    k=2

2. Relevant equations
    integral test, p test, comparison test, limit comparison, ratio test, root test.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In class so far we have not learned the alternating series test so i can't use that test.
    So far I have done the test for divergent which turned up 0, ratio test which turned up 1, root test which didn't work, and its not a geometric or telescoping series.
    I think that the only one that will work is the comparison test but I don't know what to use to compare this function.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From your question I gather that you only need to say whether the series converges, not what the limit is.

Never mind my old post, it doesn't seem to help.

[old post]
    I am not sure how much you have and haven't seen, but one common approach would be looking at the absolute value and using the triangle inequality to write

[tex]\left| \sum_{k = 2}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{k + 1}}{k \ln k} \right| \le \sum_{k = 2}^\infty \left| \frac{(-1)^{k + 1}}{k \ln k} \right|[/tex]

It may also be useful to note that ln k > 1 for k > 2.
    [/old post]

[new hint]
    Whichever way you try the comparison test, it will always end up "going the wrong way".
    Try an integral test instead.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted