Solving Infinite Series: Does (-1^n)/5 Converge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of an infinite series and how it can be determined using the definition of infinite series. The specific series being discussed is (-1)^n/5, which is shown to be divergent due to its oscillating sequence of partial sums. The conversation also touches on a different type of convergence when dealing with series that oscillate around a fixed average.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

IS=infinite series from n=1 to infinity

Does this IS(((-1)^n)/5) converge? But if it did what would it converge to? There is certainly nothing infinite about this sum value but if it dosen't converge to any specific number than does it mean it is divergent?

I think yes.

Physics news on Phys.org
When in doubt, go back to the definition! The sum of an infinite series is defined as the limit of the sequence of its partial sums, if that sequence converges. An infinite series converges if and only if its sequence of partial sums converges.

In this case the sum is -1/5+ 1/5- 1/5+ 1/5+ ... The partial sums are -1/5, -1/5+ 1/5= 0, -1/5+ 1/5- 1/5= -1/5, -1/5+ 1/5- 1/5+ 1/5= 0, etc. In other words, the sequence of partial sums is -1/5, 0, -1/5, 0, -1/5, 0, ... While that sequence does not go to infinity, it is "oscillating" and still does not converge. Therefore, the infinite sum does not converge.

Neither a sequence nor a series has to "go to infinity" in order to be divergent.

Is this the series you want to test: [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{(-1)^n}{5}}[/tex]
?

If so, I think it would depend on how you interpret the sum -1+1-1+1-1...-1+1-1...

neutrino said:
Is this the series you want to test: [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{(-1)^n}{5}}[/tex]
?

If so, I think it would depend on how you interpret the sum -1+1-1+1-1...-1+1-1...
Fortunately the definition of "infinite series" tells us how to interpret it!

RIght so now what about [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{(-1)^n}{5+\frac{3}{n}}}[/tex]

When n is large we get back to [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{(-1)^n}{5}}[/tex] which is divergent so the above series is divergent. But is this reason good enough to extablish the divergence of this series?

HallsofIvy said:
Fortunately the definition of "infinite series" tells us how to interpret it!
Sorry. Major brain lapse. :blushing:

pivoxa15 said:
RIght so now what about [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{(-1)^n}{5+\frac{3}{n}}}[/tex]

When n is large we get back to [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{(-1)^n}{5}}[/tex] which is divergent so the above series is divergent. But is this reason good enough to extablish the divergence of this series?

Well, does the nth term of the series go to 0 as n goes to infinity?

Mystic998 said:
Well, does the nth term of the series go to 0 as n goes to infinity?

The nth term when n goes to infinity is not 0 which is sufficent for the series to diverge.

I think Mystic998 Knew that pivoxa15, but wanted to actually know if it actually does go to zero.

Mystic998 - As you can see, there are only 2 values the terms can take, -1/5 and 1/5. Neither of these are zero, so even though we haven't calculated the limit, we know it isn't zero :)

There's a different type of "convergence" when you have a series that does that, because the series value will oscillate around some fixed "average", but in the most common definition of convergence, said series doesn't converge.

I think Mystic988 knew perfectly well that it didn't go to 0 and suggesting a way for pivoxa15 to determine that the series didn't converge!

The fact that Mystic988's sentence started with 'Well...' implies he/she knew the answer and wanted to give me a clue by asking me a question. I took it as a clue and found the correct answer as posted in post 8.

>.< Sorry I didn't realize it was pivoxa15's question ..I thought he was just another poster trying to help, my bad.

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It can be represented in the form of Σ (sigma) notation, where the terms are added together starting from the first term to infinity.

2. What does (-1^n)/5 represent in the series?

The term (-1^n)/5 represents the individual terms in the series. The superscript n is a positive integer that indicates whether the term is positive or negative. When n is odd, the term will be negative, and when n is even, the term will be positive. The term 1/5 is a constant that is multiplied by (-1^n) to give the value of each term.

3. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, you can use different tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or integral test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series. If the given series has similar characteristics to a convergent series, it will also converge, and if it has similar characteristics to a divergent series, it will also diverge.

4. Does (-1^n)/5 converge?

Yes, the series (-1^n)/5 converges. It is an alternating series, which means that the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative. Additionally, the absolute value of the terms decreases as n increases, which satisfies the conditions for the alternating series test, proving that the series converges.

5. How do you find the sum of an infinite series?

To find the sum of an infinite series, you can use a formula or a method called partial sums. The formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series is S = a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. For other types of series, you can use partial sums, where you add the terms of the series up to a specific number of terms and then take the limit as the number of terms approaches infinity.