1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite sheets of charge w/ conducting slab

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two infinite sheets with surface charge density σ1 and σ2, respectively, are oriented perpendicular to the x-axis. An infinite, conducting slab of thickness a is placed between the charged sheets as shown in the figure. The conducting plate has a net charge per unit area of σC.

σ1=8.85[tex]\mu[/tex]C/m^2
    σ2=1.5[tex]\mu[/tex]C/m^2
    σC=-3[tex]\mu[/tex]C/m^2
    a=2cm

2. Relevant equations
    E=[tex]\sigma[/tex]/2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured since the magnitude of the electric field is not determined by displacement, I could just use the above equation. The only problem it that the conducting slab has different surface charge density on each side and I'm not sure how to start this. I have an exam tomorrow so any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What are you asked to find?

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    Oops sorry:
    Calculate the x-component of the net electric field at x = 0.
    I figured that part out though.
    The next part asks to calculate the surface charge density on each side of the slab. I'm not sure how to do that. I do know that both sides need to equal the total surface charge density of the slab. Is that right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook