Infinite sheets of charge w/ conducting slab

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
rgalvan2
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two infinite sheets with surface charge density σ1 and σ2, respectively, are oriented perpendicular to the x-axis. An infinite, conducting slab of thickness a is placed between the charged sheets as shown in the figure. The conducting plate has a net charge per unit area of σC.

σ1=8.85[tex]\mu[/tex]C/m^2
σ2=1.5[tex]\mu[/tex]C/m^2
σC=-3[tex]\mu[/tex]C/m^2
a=2cm

Homework Equations


E=[tex]\sigma[/tex]/2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0

The Attempt at a Solution



I figured since the magnitude of the electric field is not determined by displacement, I could just use the above equation. The only problem it that the conducting slab has different surface charge density on each side and I'm not sure how to start this. I have an exam tomorrow so any help is greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops sorry:
Calculate the x-component of the net electric field at x = 0.
I figured that part out though.
The next part asks to calculate the surface charge density on each side of the slab. I'm not sure how to do that. I do know that both sides need to equal the total surface charge density of the slab. Is that right?