Charge Density on a Conductive Slab

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of trying to balance equations involving an infinite sheet of charge and a conductor with existing charge. The initial approach of assuming a difference in charge between the near and far sides did not work, and halving the net charge also did not lead to a solution. The speaker is now unsure of how to proceed and is advised to consider the electric field inside the slab and use that information to calculate the surface charge densities.
MengMei
Homework Statement
An infinite sheet of charge, oriented perpendicular to the x-axis, passes through x = 0. It has a surface charge density σ1 = -4.7 μC/m2. A thick, infinite conducting slab, also oriented perpendicular to the x-axis, occupies the region between a = 2.8 cm and b = 4.5 cm. The conducting slab has a net charge per unit area of σ2 = 87 μC/m2. (Recall that the surface charge densities σa and σb on the slab surfaces at a and b, respectively, sum to equal the net charge per unit area: σa + σb = σ2.)

What is σb, the charge per unit area on the surface of the slab located at x = 4.5 cm?
Relevant Equations
σa + σb = σ2
Okay, so I tried thinking of this as like a simple balancing of equations. There's an infinite sheet of charge on the left and a conductor on the right with some charge already on it. My thought process was that the side nearer to the charged sheet would have 4.7 more μC/m2 than the far side. Knowing this, I assumed that the near side would have 87-4.7 = 82.3 and the far side would have 87+4.7 = 91.7. That didn't work, so I took at step back, looked at the equation and then thought, "Oh, the charges on each side of the slab have to equal 87."

So I thought to half the total net charge and then find the difference between the two sides due to the infinite sheet with charge. That also didn't work. Now I'm just really confused and don't know what to do anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of guessing, think about the field inside the slab. What do you know about that, and how can you calculate it from the surface charge densities?

1. What is charge density on a conductive slab?

Charge density on a conductive slab refers to the amount of electric charge per unit area on the surface of a conductive material. It is typically measured in coulombs per square meter (C/m^2).

2. How is charge density on a conductive slab calculated?

Charge density on a conductive slab can be calculated by dividing the total charge on the surface of the slab by the surface area of the slab. This can be represented by the formula ρ = Q/A, where ρ is the charge density, Q is the total charge, and A is the surface area.

3. What factors affect the charge density on a conductive slab?

The charge density on a conductive slab can be affected by several factors, including the material of the slab, the shape and size of the slab, and the presence of any external electric fields. Additionally, the charge density can also be influenced by the type and amount of charge present on the surface of the slab.

4. How does charge density on a conductive slab impact its conductivity?

The charge density on a conductive slab is directly related to its conductivity. A higher charge density means there is a greater concentration of charges on the surface, which can result in a higher conductivity. On the other hand, a lower charge density may result in a lower conductivity.

5. Can the charge density on a conductive slab be changed?

Yes, the charge density on a conductive slab can be changed by altering the amount and distribution of charge on the surface of the slab. This can be done by adding or removing charges, or by changing the external electric field that is acting on the slab.