Infinitely long prism is sliced

  • Thread starter Thread starter vectorspaces
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Prism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
vectorspaces
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What happens when an infinitely tall vertical rectangular prism consisting of all (x,y,z) with x between a and b and y between c and d is cut by a non-vertical plane z = px + qy + k? What are the possible shapes of the slice?


Homework Equations



I don't know...no idea really

The Attempt at a Solution



I think it would be a parallelogram, but I have no idea how to prove this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine viewing a rectangular piece of paper at some distance. All possible orientations of the paper except those you when you view the paper head on will give you the possible shapes you are looking for? It might help to pick up a playing card, drivers license, or credit card and hold it at arms length.