1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinitely many subspaces in R3 ?

1. Mar 16, 2006 #1
    infinitely many "subspaces" in R3 ?

In R3, there are zero, 1, 2, 3 dimensional subspaces. But how can I express them with 'specific' example, using variables x,y,and z?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are infinite many lines through the origin.

That's a hint.

4. Mar 17, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And there are infinitely many planes containing the origin! But R3 has only one 3 dimensional subspace.

If by "specific example" you mean a specific example of each: what is the equation of a line through the origin? What is the equation of a plane containing the origin? And as I said, you don't have many choices for an example of a 3 dimensional supspace.

5. Mar 17, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

In addition, know that every subspace of R^n contains the origin.

6. Mar 17, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's false.

You are assuming the zero vector to be the origin. It doesn't have to be.

7. Mar 18, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

I did mean to state this only for the usual definitions of scalar multiplication and vector addition; in such a case, R^3 has precisely these subspaces: the trivial ones, namely, the set containing the zero vector and R^3 itself, (which are the zero and 3 dimensional subspaces); each line containing the origin is a subspace of dimension 1 (and there are no others of dimension 1); and lastly, each plane containing the origin is a subspace of dimension 2 (and there are no others of dimension 2).

8. Mar 18, 2006 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's better. :biggrin:

I got a True/False question wrong once because I answered it too quickly and it was regarding this. Not directly, but in general.

So, for the sake of being concise, I always try to add the conditions when I make a comment or statement. I forget sometimes, but that's normal.

The reason why I pointed it out here is because the thread starter is relatively new to linear algebra, and he/she should get a feel of what a vector space is. People get mistaken that a vector space actually has 0 as the zero vector all the time.

9. Mar 18, 2006 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The original post said "subspace of Rn". That is sufficient to conclude that the 0 vector is (0,0). I'm not sure what you mean by "People get mistaken that a vector space has 0 as the zero vector all the time". Are you thinking about a case in which there is an unusual definition of vector addition? Precisely because "the thread starter is relatively new to linear algebra" I think bringing up situations like that when it was clearlys stated that this is in Rn will be confusing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?