1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinitesimal transformation

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    If we have:

$$F_{\mu\nu} \rightarrow \cos\alpha F_{\mu\nu} +\sin\alpha \star G_{\mu\nu}$$
    $$G_{\mu\nu} \rightarrow \cos\alpha G_{\mu\nu} +\sin\alpha \star F_{\mu\nu}$$
    for rotation $\alpha$.

If infinitesimal transformation for small alpha one gets

$$\delta F_{\mu\nu} = \delta\alpha~\star G_{\mu\nu}$$
    $$\delta G_{\mu\nu} = \delta\alpha~\star F_{\mu\nu}.$$

How do we get the infinitesimal transformation? I didn't understand the procedure. I know that $\cos\alpha \sim1$ and $\sin\alpha \sim\alpha$ but when I am substituting back I am not getting the same $\delta F_{\mu\nu}$ as above.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2
    Your new tensors are going to be:
    $$
    \begin{cases}
    F_{\mu\nu}^\prime=\cos\alpha F_{\mu\nu}+\sin\alpha\star G_{\mu\nu}\simeq F_{\mu\nu}+\alpha\star G_{\mu\nu} \\
    G_{\mu\nu}^\prime=\cos\alpha G_{\mu\nu}+\sin\alpha\star F_{\mu\nu}\simeq G_{\mu\nu}+\alpha\star F_{\mu\nu}
    \end{cases}.
    $$
    The variations of the tensors themselves are defined as the new tensors minus the old ones: [itex]\delta F_{\mu\nu}=F_{\mu\nu}^\prime-F_{\mu\nu}[/itex] and [itex]\delta G_{\mu\nu}=G_{\mu\nu}^\prime-G_{\mu\nu}[/itex]. And thus you obtain what you are looking for.

4. Dec 11, 2014 #3
    Thank youuu a lot!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook