Infinitesimals and Infini-tesa-tesimals

In summary, the conversation revolves around the definitions and properties of infinitesimals and infinities in different number systems. The main focus is on finding a consistent arithmetic with the operators (+,-,*,/) for sets of infinitesimals and infinities. Different suggestions and ideas are proposed, including defining infinitesimals as equivalence classes of converging sequences and ordering them by declaring x to be positive and infinitesimal. The conversation also touches on the transfer principle and the relationship between infinitesimals and real numbers. Overall, there is a lack of consensus on a definitive definition and properties for these sets, but the search for a consistent arithmetic continues.
Phrak
Infinitesimals and "Infini-tesa-tesimals"

Positive infinitesimals are defined as greater than zero, and less than 1/n, where n is any number 1,2,3... The set of negative infinitesimals is the same, but where negative infinitesimals are less than zero and greater than 1/-n.

Infinities are the reciprocal of infinitesimals.

Call the set of real numbers A0. Call the set of infinitesimals A-1. Call the set of infinities A1.

Now, I'd like to have more sets with elements smaller than A-1 but greater than zero, and sets with elements larger than A1 for the positive elements of each set:-

The set of sets being …, A-2, A-1, A0, A1 , A2, … .There’s an immediate problem as there isn’t any room left between zero and A-1 to fit A-2.

Can this be resolved and a consistent arithmetric with the operators (+,-,*,/) be obtained?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Ehehe... why not define the second infinitesimals as "greater than 0, and less than [itex]1/A_n[/itex], where A_n denotes any member of the set [itex]A_1[/itex]?

Hi Phrak! :smile:

If I remember correctly, the infinitesimals are defined as equivalence classes of the set of countable sequences converging to zero …

so for example the class of sequences converging as fast as 1/n3 is smaller than the class of sequences converging as fast as 1/n2.

A-2 would presumably be defined as equivalence classes of the set of countable sequences of members of A-1

that looks to me like the same set. :confused:

(but I can't quite see what the definition would be, and I certainly can't prove it :redface:)

Phrak said:
Infinities are the reciprocal of infinitesimals.
That depends on the particular number system. This statement is true for the hyperreals and the projective reals, but not for extended reals, for example.

Call the set of real numbers A0. Call the set of infinitesimals A-1. Call the set of infinities A1.
The real number 0 is infinitessimal, for the record. :smile:

Also, for the hyperreal numbers, you are missing many elements -- for example, any element of the form r + e where r is a nonzero real and e is a nonzero infinitessimal.

The set of sets being …, A-2, A-1, A0, A1 , A2, … .
To do something like this, you can't let A-1 be "all infintiessimals". There are several reasonable things you could do...

Can this be resolved and a consistent arithmetric with the operators (+,-,*,/) be obtained?
But it's not clear exactly what properties you want these sets to have.

Consider the set of all rational functions in x. This can be ordered by declaring x to be positive and infinitessimal.

(If that's not clear, this ordering can also be defined as being the lexicographic order on the Laurent series of the rational function)

It's fairly natural to define a collection of sets such as
Bn = all rational functions whose Laurent series has leading term xn
(this is indexed reverse to how you were indexing your A's)

These sets are precisely the equivalence classes of nonzero rational functions under the equivalence relation
x ~ y iff x/y is neither infinite nor infinitessimal​

In the hyperreals, we could define a similar equivalence relation. The set of equivalence classes is not discrete though -- between any two classes there exists another class.

Char. Limit said:
Ehehe... why not define the second infinitesimals as "greater than 0, and less than [itex]1/A_n[/itex], where A_n denotes any member of the set [itex]A_1[/itex]?

Yes, that's one candidate, but it seems to have circular definitions. Using lower case Latin similarly subscripted as elements of the sets Ak and sticking to the positives to avoid lengthy arguments,

then a-1 is now redefined as greater than zero and greater than any a-2.

There's also a possible pathology. Define a second set of sets ..., B-3, B-2, B-1, B0 where
B-3 = A-2
B-1 = A-1
B0 = A0
One seems free to add or delete any number of sets of A and still fulfill a recursive definition of A-n-1 such that a-n-1>0 and a-n-1<a-n, where [itex]n \leq 0[/itex].

tiny-tim said:
Hi Phrak! :smile:

If I remember correctly, the infinitesimals are defined as equivalence classes of the set of countable sequences converging to zero …

so for example the class of sequences converging as fast as 1/n3 is smaller than the class of sequences converging as fast as 1/n2.

A-2 would presumably be defined as equivalence classes of the set of countable sequences of members of A-1

that looks to me like the same set. :confused:

(but I can't quite see what the definition would be, and I certainly can't prove it :redface:)

Hi, Tiny.

There seems to be many different ways to define infinitesimals. I'd thought that I borrowed the notion from the definition of hyperreal numbers, but now I can't find it.

Hurkyl said:
That depends on the particular number system. This statement is true for the hyperreals and the projective reals, but not for extended reals, for example.

The real number 0 is infinitesimal, for the record. :smile:

Hmm.. I left that out. The number sets I have in mind are {…, A-2, A-1, A0, A1 , A2, …, 0}, where zero is neither real nor infinitesimal but stands alone.

Also, for the hyperreal numbers, you are missing many elements -- for example, any element of the form r + e where r is a nonzero real and e is a nonzero infinitessimal.

Me: "The set of sets being …, A-2, A-1, A0, A1 , A2, … ."

To do something like this, you can't let A-1 be "all infintiessimals". There are several reasonable things you could do...

[...]

But it's not clear exactly what properties you want these sets to have.

I have in mind:
1) Each set Aj should obey the transfer principle with the real numbers.
2) Expressions such as a0+a1 would be irreducible,
3) 1/aj = a-j,
4) aj/ak = aj-k
5) ajak = aj+k

My focus has been to get to 4) and 5) with consistency.I don't often get around to mathematics in general so I can't really decode much of the rest you have to say without frequent visits to Wikipedia, where this doesn't always work.
Consider the set of all rational functions in x. This can be ordered by declaring x to be positive and infinitessimal.

(If that's not clear, this ordering can also be defined as being the lexicographic order on the Laurent series of the rational function)

It's fairly natural to define a collection of sets such as
Bn = all rational functions whose Laurent series has leading term xn
(this is indexed reverse to how you were indexing your A's)

These sets are precisely the equivalence classes of nonzero rational functions under the equivalence relation
x ~ y iff x/y is neither infinite nor infinitessimal​
In the hyperreals, we could define a similar equivalence relation. The set of equivalence classes is not discrete though -- between any two classes there exists another class.

Last edited:

Char. Limit said:

actually, I'm beginning to like this idea, in view of this:

Phrak said:
There's also a possible pathology. Define a second set of sets ..., B-3, B-2, B-1, B0 where
B-3 = A-2
B-1 = A-1
B0 = A0

It seems to imply non-uniqueness over many of these transfinite numbering systems, and if so, a dimensioning function is required that may require fractional subscripts of orders of infinity. However, I imagine that I'm not making any sense to anyone else at this point.

Last edited:

Phrak said:
actually, I'm beginning to like this idea, in view of this:

It seems to imply non-uniqueness over many of these transfinite numbering systems, and if so, a dimensioning function is required that may require fractional subscripts of orders of infinity. However, I imagine that I'm not making any sense to anyone else at this point.

If you're not making sense to the rest of us, then can you say it in simple Mathematics?

Char. Limit said:
If you're not making sense to the rest of us, then can you say it in simple Mathematics?

I've been considering how to put your question into symbols.

Defining the two sets, above, in better terms:

A = {0,A}, where A = {..., A-2, A-1, A0, A1, A2, ...}

B = {0,B}, where B = {..., B-2, B-1, B0, B1, B2, ...}

The differential of x, i.e. dx1 is a first order infinitesimal of x and an element of A-1. x, itself, is an element of A0.

All numbers constructed of A are vectors of the form

[tex]\stackrel{n}{\sum} x_n dx^{-n}[/tex]

Likewise for B:

[tex]\stackrel{m}{\sum} y_m dy^{-m}[/tex]

One example that makes a connection between elements of the sets B and A is

m = f(n) = n2.

For fractional differentials such as dx3/14,

n = phi/14 and m = phi/5, for example.

The generalization is of course that n and m should have a relation over the field of reals or complex numbers. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

Related to Infinitesimals and Infini-tesa-tesimals

What are infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals?

Infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals are mathematical concepts that represent values that are infinitely small, but not equal to zero. They are used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to describe quantities that are too small to be measured or counted, but still have a magnitude.

How are infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals different from zero?

While both infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals are extremely small values, they are not the same as zero. Zero is a well-defined number and represents the absence of a quantity, while infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals represent values that are approaching zero, but never actually reach it.

How are infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals used in calculus?

Infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals are used in calculus to calculate the derivatives and integrals of functions. They allow us to solve problems that involve continuously changing quantities, such as velocity and acceleration. Without infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals, many of the fundamental principles of calculus would not be possible.

Are infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals real numbers?

No, infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals are not considered to be real numbers. They are instead considered to be a part of an extension of the real number system, known as the hyperreal numbers. This system includes both real numbers and infinitesimals, allowing for a more comprehensive understanding of mathematical concepts.

What are some real-world applications of infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals?

Infinitesimals and infini-tesa-tesimals have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze continuous systems, such as the motion of objects and the growth of populations. They are also used in the development of computer algorithms and in the design of advanced technologies.