Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Inflammation & Nervous System

1. Oct 4, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2016 #2

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Yes, there is a connection between the nervous system and inflammation, it is well-documented. What kind of inflammation are you referring to, though? There are many kinds of inflammatory disorders and responses. The paper you referenced is about using Cholinergic agonists to treat a specific type of inflammation, sepsis. It isn't recommending a general treatment for just any kind of inflammation. Can you be more specific about the condition you are wondering about?

4. Oct 4, 2016 #3
    i jus need more information about it. Any paper or book that summarizes all the basic of it all?

5. Oct 4, 2016 #4

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

What is 'it'? What kind of inflammation?

6. Oct 4, 2016 #5
    Any. i just want to know all the connection between inflammation and nervous system. i dont hav any inflammation. jus asking

7. Oct 4, 2016 #6

BillTre

Science Advisor

You are asking a very board question.
    You might want try looking in something like an Annual Review of Pharmacology or Neuroscience or Physiology or Immunology for the past few years. You are likely to find a more recent review article than your reference (13 years old).
    Alternatively text books.

8. Oct 5, 2016 #7
    So there is not even a basic primer or introductory text or references on the relationship of inflammation and the nervous system?

If you really want example of inflammation. Then just any wound healing or let's say upper respiratory infection.

9. Oct 5, 2016 #8

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Then, search, 'immune responses, including inflammation, in the nervous system during a URI'.

10. Oct 5, 2016 #9
    I'm referring to the opposite. For example there is immune responses.. then manipulating something in the nervous system can control it. For example, during allergy when mast cells are being released all over the body. Manipulation of the nervous system like reflexology can tame it enough for say travel time to emergency rooms. This is just an example. Or let's the case of just sore feet with a bit of inflammation. Then perhaps some manipulation of nervous system can tame it? What is the list of accepted modalities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted