Inflation-complicated compound interest

In summary, Nick is looking for help in calculating the growth of a retirement account over 30 years, with annual contributions of 9% of a $60,000 salary increasing each year in line with inflation of 3%, and a starting balance of $100,000. He also wants to compare the results if the annual contribution is increased to 12%. The solution involves dividing everything by 1.03 to adjust for inflation.
NicholasMM
Hi gang, I need help with a formula if somebody with an enormous brain and generous heart has some spare time.

I need to work out what 9% of $60,000 ($5400) invested annual at 7% (net of fees and taxes) would grow to in 30 years, with the $60,000 increasing by 3% inflation each year (so the figure that 9% amounts to grows each year).

There is also a starting balance of $100,000.

I then need to be able to alter that 9% and make it 12% to see what the difference would be in the result.

If anybody can help a maths knucklehead such as myself that would be wonderful.

Thanks ... Nick.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think I understand the statement of the problem. Are you looking for the nominal or the real amount? Is 3% the inflation rate -- because in the problem it sounds like a COLA? What is the $100,000 starting amount -- does it include the $60,000 or not? If so, what happens with the other $40,000, is it invested at the risk-free rate (which is what?)?

Hi CR, I didn't explain myself very well.

In Australia, we have compulsory retirement savings of 9% of our annual wage ($60,000 in my example).

I'm trying to work out what those contributions would grow in 30 years, given 7% returns (for simplicity, net of fees and taxes) a year and, critically, with the annual wage (again, $60, 000 in my example) rising each year in line with inflation of 3%pa, so that the 9% compulsory amount increases too each year.

I then want to change the 9% to 12% to compare how tipping in each year an amount extra to the compulsory 9% would effect the result (that is, the investment balance).

The $100,000 would be the retirement account balance when the retirement investor switched from 9% of annual wage to 12%.

I know how to work out the FV of $5400 (9% of $60,000) invested at 7% for 30 years. What I don't know is how to do is allow for the $5400 to increase each year in line with inflation.

I'd really love it if you knew a formula for this that I could punch into google calc.

Thanks CR. I hope I haven't just made it much more confusing! ... Nick.

NicholasMM said:
I know how to work out the FV of $5400 (9% of $60,000) invested at 7% for 30 years. What I don't know is how to do is allow for the $5400 to increase each year in line with inflation.

The easy way, then, is to divide everything by 1.03 each year so you're working in real (not nominal) terms. Thus you get 3.88% after-inflation returns (1.07/1.03 - 1) and your contribution stays at $5400 inflation-adjusted dollars.

1. What is inflation-complicated compound interest?

Inflation-complicated compound interest is a type of compound interest calculation that takes into account the effects of inflation on the value of money over time. It is a more realistic representation of the growth of an investment or debt, as it considers the decreasing purchasing power of money due to inflation.

2. How is inflation-complicated compound interest calculated?

Inflation-complicated compound interest is calculated by first determining the nominal interest rate (the stated rate of interest) and the inflation rate. These two rates are then used in a formula to calculate the real interest rate, which takes into account the effects of inflation. The real interest rate is then used in the compound interest formula to calculate the growth of an investment or debt.

3. How does inflation affect compound interest?

Inflation affects compound interest by reducing the purchasing power of money over time. This means that even though the nominal amount of an investment or debt may increase, the actual value of the money decreases due to inflation. Inflation-complicated compound interest takes this into account and provides a more accurate representation of the growth or decline of an investment or debt.

4. Is inflation-complicated compound interest used in real-world financial calculations?

Yes, inflation-complicated compound interest is often used in real-world financial calculations, as it provides a more accurate representation of the growth or decline of investments or debts. It is commonly used in banking, investing, and economic analysis to better understand the effects of inflation on the value of money over time.

5. How can I use inflation-complicated compound interest to make better financial decisions?

By understanding and utilizing inflation-complicated compound interest, you can make more informed financial decisions. This type of calculation can help you better understand the growth or decline of your investments or debts over time, and can also aid in budgeting and planning for future expenses. It is important to consider the effects of inflation when making financial decisions to ensure you are accurately assessing the value of your money.