1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inflection points using 2nd derivative

1. Jul 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all inflection points,

f(x) = -x^3/2

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    f'(x) = -3/2x^-1/2
    f''(x) = 3/4x^-3/2

The f''(x) does not exist. I know that doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't any inflection points, but how do I go about finding them? Ususally I just set the 2nd derivate equal to 0 but it doesn't seem to work in this case. When I do set it equal to 0, I get x=0. And when I check points to the left and right of f''(0) the 2nd derivate doesn't change signs. Does that mean there is no inflection points??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I am assuming you meant that [itex]f(x) = \frac{-x^3}{2}[/itex]

But you are correct in saying that f''(x)=0 => x=0 . f(0)=?

Now check the sign of f'(x) at say x=0.1 and at x=-0.1. See if the sign changes.

[You are to check if the sign of the gradient changes which is given by f'(x)]

4. Jul 8, 2008 #3
    Judging by his derivatives, he actually means
    [tex]f(x) = -x^{3/2}[/tex]
    which should have been written as -x^(3/2).

First of all, I don't think your derivatives are correct, check them again.

5. Jul 8, 2008 #4
    Yes, I meant f(x) = -x^(3/2)

wish I knew how to use w/e program that you guys are using so that there is less confusion..in looking at my derivative..they seem correct to me

basically -(3/2)x^((3/2)-1) = -(3/2)x^(1/2)...no?

ill check over them again and see

6. Jul 8, 2008 #5
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x) = \frac{-3}{2}x^{1/2}[/tex] is correct, however that is not what you had in your first post.

However there cannot be a point of inflection at x=0 because the domain is only defined from [0,inf) which automatically means that the second derivative cannot change signs at x=0 because it to is only defined on (0,inf)

7. Jul 8, 2008 #6
    Ah, I see my mistake.So,

f'(x) = (-3/2)x^(1/2)
    f''(x) = (-3/4)x^(-1/2)

(-3/4)x^(-1/2)=0
    x=0

Taking test points to the left and right of x=0 yields no sign change, thus there is no inflection point.

Would what I said above be correct to say? We currently solve for inflection points setting the 2nd derivative equal to zero. We then use those zeros and divide the x-axis into intervals. Using a test point within those intervals we determine the sign of f''. If f'' changes sign then there is a inflection point.

Just wanting a confirmation :smile:

8. Jul 8, 2008 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't 'test' to the left of zero, i.e. negative numbers. As has been pointed out, this function isn't defined for negative x, and you just took a square root of a negative number in your last post as well in the higher derivatives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?