Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Info Gathering for Book

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    I'm looking or some Information - as this is a lesson in learning for me... I'll ask random questions that can hopefully be answered for a book I am starting, this will be my second book.

The girl is a Genetic Experiment whose blood was scientifically altered to include a cheetah's DNA strand - Mixing these together and using them on a young girl, the girl grew cat-like ears, and a tail just like a cat, this includes the speed, reflexes, and other such innate abilities that are inherent to the cheetah family - Though because she has a human body, she has x7 the attributes of a cheetah.

1. Detail; A Solid Military Standard Steel Reinforced Door that can stop explosions from Grenade Launchers - How much force, in theory, would it take to place a 4-inch deep, seven-inch foot-conformed dent into a door of such attributions?

2. A Hybrid, say at the meeting of the front and back door of the car - How much force would it take to place a seven-inch dent in it?

3. Standard 11 inch assfault of the road, to crack this, and make a shield-like imprint from landing harshly upon the pavement - How much force would this take?

I believe these questions are theoretical, and I hope they can be answered -
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

They aren't theoretical. You need to know the exact material composition of the doors. And if I remember my freshman material science course correctly, you need to perform a hardness test. This is far from theoretical. I don't know how military doors are made, but even if you can find detailed hardness values for each type of material used, that tells you nothing about the hardness of a composite material unless you also know the type of composite material you're dealing with and the exact values of each material composite. And I imagine that the amount of pressure you need to exert also depends on which part of the door you're applying the force on.

The best answer would be to perform a hardness test yourself on these items. I don't see any easy way out of this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?