INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY vs OPERATIONAL MANGEMENT

In summary, the two degrees have different benefits, but both are important for someone in this career field.
FizixFreak
Hi there everyone! I am posting after on this forum after quite a while...

I am about to make a very important decision regarding my academic career but i am puzzled on which degree would be more beneficial like the title suggests i have the option of "m.sc IT"(mostly concerned with software engineering) and "m.sc information and operational management"...,now i should make this clear that i graduated with a degree in commerce(b.com) so i have no background in software engineering or computer science but i LOVE mathematics...,any form of it(except from geometry of course)and for that reason i think i will go somewhere in this field but the problem with this field is(or at least what i have heard)is that after completing your degree you need to spend a good amount of time in a software house(with little to no pay) so you can polish your skills and only after that you can get a high profile job and because of the fact that i am already 22 years of age and completely broke this really scares the hell out of me i don't mind choosing operational management but i think IT suits me MUCH better and it is also more economical:biggrin:.

I don't live in the US(i am from PAKISTAN)so things might be a little different in terms of course outlines of the our respective countries so i am posting the course outline of m.sc IT
http://www.pucit.edu.pk/index.php/academics/academic-programs/msc-it

And also m.sc operational management as well
http://pu.edu.pk/program/show/6105/C...arial-Sciences

I would be waiting for a quick reply..., thanks in advance:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Pick which one interests you more. Simple :)

I made the decision now can i get some useful advice for this question...,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=638758

By the way what the hell is wrong with this forum its like no one is replying to my threads any more:mad:

1. What is the difference between information technology and operational management?

Information technology (IT) refers to the use of computers and software to store, retrieve, and manipulate data while operational management (OM) is the process of designing, controlling, and improving the production and delivery of goods and services. In simple terms, IT deals with technology and data while OM deals with the overall management of business processes.

2. How do information technology and operational management work together?

Information technology and operational management work together to improve efficiency and productivity within a business. For example, IT systems can be used to collect and analyze data, which can then be used by operational managers to make informed decisions and streamline processes. On the other hand, operational management can provide insights and feedback to IT professionals to improve and optimize technology systems.

3. Which one is more important for a business: information technology or operational management?

Both information technology and operational management are essential for a business to thrive. Without IT, businesses would struggle to store and process data, communicate with customers, and stay competitive in the digital age. On the other hand, operational management ensures that business processes are running smoothly and efficiently, leading to increased productivity and profitability. Therefore, a balance between the two is crucial for overall success.

4. Can information technology replace operational management?

No, information technology cannot replace operational management. While technology can automate and streamline certain processes, it cannot replace the human aspect of managing and optimizing business operations. Operational management involves decision-making, problem-solving, and leadership, which are skills that technology cannot replicate. IT and OM should work together to complement and enhance each other's abilities.

5. How is information technology changing operational management?

Information technology is revolutionizing operational management by introducing new tools, systems, and processes that streamline and optimize operations. For example, cloud computing, automation, and artificial intelligence (AI) are being used to improve supply chain management, inventory control, and data analysis. IT is also providing real-time data and insights, allowing operational managers to make data-driven decisions and respond quickly to changes in the market.